First-time eligibles for HOF Class of 2017 include:

SixtiesFan

Re: First-time eligibles for HOF Class of 2017 include:

Post by SixtiesFan »

John Maxymuk wrote:Ray Didinger was the committee member who presented McDonald for the vote. Tommy had been his favorite player growing up. Ray did such a great job that I believe McDonald had him introduce Tommy at the induction ceremony. I think the touchdown per catch ratio was a big selling point as was his being one of the last players to go without a facemask.

McDonald was a terrific receiver who was unafraid going over the middle despite his small stature and spirited exciting player. I believe he was highly thought of in his time...I remember there was a big SI piece on him in the early 60s. I agree Shofner was probably the best receiver of the time, but if you look at the receiving stats for that time, there were lots of guys averaging around 20 yards a catch who are forgotten now like Buddy Dial and Sonny Randle. Fun to watch.
I recall a magazine article about Sonny Jurgensen after he was traded to Washington. Sonny remarked that he was criticized in Philadelphia for throwing too much to Tommy McDonald. Sonny said something like, "Who did they expect me to throw to, the guards and tackles?"
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

I do not think Darren Woodson is worthy of HOF recognition at all.

Randy Gradishar must have raped 40 of the HOF voters' wives/significant others; something just does not make sense re: his omission after all this time.

The same can be said about Jerry Kramer, Dilweg, Slater, Johnny Robinson (among many others).
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Versatile John wrote:I do not think Darren Woodson is worthy of HOF recognition at all.
His postseason honors look competitive with his peers. No idea how he looks in film study -- anybody know?
Versatile John wrote:Randy Gradishar ... something just does not make sense re: his omission after all this time.

The same can be said about Jerry Kramer, Dilweg, Slater, Johnny Robinson (among many others).
I think all four folks you mentioned belong in.

Gradishar didn't break through as a finalist until late in his eligibility, which probably hurt his case. He's the kind of player who probably needed to "marinate" for a while as finalist, like Harry Carson did. Had he done so, he probably would have snuck in late in his candidacy. Robinson was a finalist several times, but back then AFL players tended not to get the respect they do nowadays. This reportedly was an issue with several such players. If he were nominated now, he'd probably go right in. Slater just fell by the wayside along with Dilweg, Wistert, etc. for unknown reasons. Film study at Ken's site on Kramer suggests that he wasn't good in pass protection, which probably hurt him -- Dr. Z was reportedly not a fan of his case. Re Kramer, Peter King has written that he has been in the room several times before and they apparently want to give Seniors who have never gotten a chance preference. Which doesn't explain Dick Stanfel going before the committee as a Senior three times and Claude Humphrey twice, but hey, what do I know?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I agree that Gradishar should have been elected years ago. i have two questions about him:

- Why he only played 10 seasons? He never missed a game due to injuries.
- Why he changed numbers from 52 to 53 in his third season?
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Since many have drifted from "First-time eligibles," it must be noted that the most glaring omission at LB is Maxie Baughan.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

oldecapecod11 wrote:Since many have drifted from "First-time eligibles," it must be noted that the most glaring omission at LB is Maxie Baughan.
I'd actually list Chuck Howley first with Baughan right behind, followed closely by Gradishar and Robert Brazile. All absolutely should be in. The difference is mainly akin to that of different kinds of 12 year old single malt scotch, am guessing.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Some may be on the same shelf as the finest scotch but Baughan is the Tullamore Dew on the shelf above Jameson.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Re Gradishar: I knew he was a HoF finalist twice (2003 and 2008), but Wikipedia says he got closest to enshrinement in 2003, when he apparently made the cutdown from 15 to 10, but not into the final 5. Strange that he wasn't a finalist again until five years later, when he didn't even reach the top 10.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

As far as eligible LBers that have been delayed a long time:

Gradishar

Brazile

Baughan

Howley

Mecklenburg

Nobis

Mike Curtis

Bill Bergey

Matt Blair

Isiah Robertson

Clay Matthews, Jr. (has not waited as long)
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

bachslunch wrote:
Versatile John wrote:I do not think Darren Woodson is worthy of HOF recognition at all.
His postseason honors look competitive with his peers. No idea how he looks in film study -- anybody know?
Versatile John wrote:Randy Gradishar ... something just does not make sense re: his omission after all this time.

I think all four folks you mentioned belong in.

Gradishar didn't break through as a finalist until late in his eligibility, which probably hurt his case. He's the kind of player who probably needed to "marinate" for a while as finalist, like Harry Carson did. Had he done so, he probably would have snuck in late in his candidacy. Robinson was a finalist several times, but back then AFL players tended not to get the respect they do nowadays. This reportedly was an issue with several such players. If he were nominated now, he'd probably go right in. Slater just fell by the wayside along with Dilweg, Wistert, etc. for unknown reasons. Film study at Ken's site on Kramer suggests that he wasn't good in pass protection, which probably hurt him -- Dr. Z was reportedly not a fan of his case. Re Kramer, Peter King has written that he has been in the room several times before and they apparently want to give Seniors who have never gotten a chance preference. Which doesn't explain Dick Stanfel going before the committee as a Senior three times and Claude Humphrey twice, but hey, what do I know?
I value Ken Crippen's opinion more than Paul Zimmerman's in many ways.