Football Films (List)

BD Sullivan

Re: Football Films (List)

Post by BD Sullivan »

"Black Sunday" was rated R, while "Number One" was officially rated "M" (i.e. Mature), which eventually became "PG." Since I assume the two films from the 1940's and others filmed even earlier had no rating at all.

A couple of TV films could probably be added here:

The 1978 movie "Superdome" has a cheesy plot that involves the Super Bowl, gambling, potential killers, etc. It was broadcast six days before Super Bowl XII--played in the Superdome, but even though football is a central component of the film--it has no football action. :lol: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078345/

In 2002, "Monday Night Mayhem," which is more about the broadcasting side. However, it does include a lot of out of place and sometimes anachronistic NFL Films highlights: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268466/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
single wing

Post by single wing »

Do i dare mention Three Little Pigskins the Stooges short ? Stadium was Gilmore Stadium in Los Angeles which was used for a pair of NFL Pro bowls and also home field of the LA Bulldogs. The team on the field with the Stooges was Loyola Marymount College.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

There's a couple of TV movies circa 1980 that aren't on this list. The first is a Rocky Bleier biopic called "Fighting Back".

Also a Steeler movie from about the same time, and I remember seeing this as a kid, and I'm trusting that I really did see this and didn't imagine it - but someone made a full-length movie based on that Joe Greene commercial where he tosses a jersey to a kid. Yeah. I kid you not.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

single wing wrote:Do i dare mention Three Little Pigskins the Stooges short ? Stadium was Gilmore Stadium in Los Angeles which was used for a pair of NFL Pro bowls and also home field of the LA Bulldogs. The team on the field with the Stooges was Loyola Marymount College.
With a young Lucille Ball playing one of the mobster's molls.

"Fighting Back" was on the original list, although the one thing I recall is that they simply used contemporary Steelers players as soundless extras--which meant that Cliff Stoudt and others from the 1979-80 era were shown as being part of the earlier championship squads.
Attachments
Lucille Ball.jpg
Lucille Ball.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 12750 times
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Most, if not all, of the films mentioned by posters have been included in an up-dated version of the OP list.
There are a few more to add and it will be edited once again.
Currently, the list has about 125 entries and the extent of the editing capabilities of this software that was foisted upon us
is relatively unknown.
In messages received prior to the First of the Year, the best two words describing it were junk and garbage. So, we shall see.
If another edit or two is not possible, a new thread will be created and we can simply let this one pass and be forgotten
with some others that are lost and gone forever.
The list has also been dropped into a database and copies can be had. It is nice to be able to view it by title or year.
And, yes; documentaries are included as are a few other-themed classics as indicated in the OP. "M*A*S*H" will be for sure!
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

The edited and up-dated version of the list has been entered in Post #1. (123 Film Titles)
There is a data-base if you would like a copy.
Or, you can create your own by copying the post. Three simple key strokes will make it DB-ready.
Enjoy...
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Todd Pence wrote:There's a couple of TV movies circa 1980 that aren't on this list. The first is a Rocky Bleier biopic called "Fighting Back".

Also a Steeler movie from about the same time, and I remember seeing this as a kid, and I'm trusting that I really did see this and didn't imagine it - but someone made a full-length movie based on that Joe Greene commercial where he tosses a jersey to a kid. Yeah. I kid you not.
There was an episode of SCTV from the early 80's which had a commercial spoof of Greene and Rocky Bleier doing a TV dinner ad where these dinners were enough to feed about a dozen people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDYfDJVO5I
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:There's a couple of TV movies circa 1980 that aren't on this list. The first is a Rocky Bleier biopic called "Fighting Back".

There was an episode of SCTV from the early 80's which had a commercial spoof of Greene and Rocky Bleier doing a TV dinner ad where these dinners were enough to feed about a dozen people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDYfDJVO5I
Joe Flaherty, one the cast members was a Pittsburgh native, which, of course, made him a huge Steelers fan.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

A couple of people have asked if the list can be alphabetized. Of course it can. Simply ask for the data base and do it.
Wow!
Are the children of today spoiled, or what? DIY is becoming a thing of the past.
But, to help the helpless, we will do it. All asterisks and credits will be removed and it will be posted separately.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Here are a few more films for your list:
The Spirit of Notre Dame - 1931 - NR - 80 minutes
Touchdown - 1931 - NR - 79 minutes