Browns hire Paul DePodesta

Rupert Patrick

Browns hire Paul DePodesta

Post by Rupert Patrick »

For anybody who doesn't know who Paul DePodesta is, he is the young statistical whiz who worked with Billy Beane and the Oakland A's in the early 2000's and was portrayed in the movie Moneyball by Jonah Hill. Why DePodesta didn't wish them to use his real name in the movie, I never understood, but he was the statistical intern that Beane purchased from the Cleveland Indians and brought to the A's and DePodesta helped him in building the 2002 team that won 20 straight games. Anyway, the Cleveland Browns have hired Paul DePodesta to help the organization with decision making according to the article. At this point, I'd say it can't hurt but anything short of bringing in Parcells or Belichick probably won't turn the fortunes of the organization. It will be interesting to see if a Baseball stat guy like DePodesta can apply his smarts to football.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/01/05/b ... 1100004138

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Browns have made an out-of-the-batter's box hire.
Paul DePodesta, a baseball executive with 20 years of major league experience, has been appointed their new chief strategy officer.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Re: Browns hire Paul DePodesta

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:For anybody who doesn't know who Paul DePodesta is, he is the young statistical whiz who worked with Billy Beane and the Oakland A's in the early 2000's and was portrayed in the movie Moneyball by Jonah Hill. Why DePodesta didn't wish them to use his real name in the movie, I never understood, but he was the statistical intern that Beane purchased from the Cleveland Indians and brought to the A's and DePodesta helped him in building the 2002 team that won 20 straight games. Anyway, the Cleveland Browns have hired Paul DePodesta to help the organization with decision making according to the article. At this point, I'd say it can't hurt but anything short of bringing in Parcells or Belichick probably won't turn the fortunes of the organization. It will be interesting to see if a Baseball stat guy like DePodesta can apply his smarts to football.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/01/05/b ... 1100004138

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Browns have made an out-of-the-batter's box hire.
Paul DePodesta, a baseball executive with 20 years of major league experience, has been appointed their new chief strategy officer.
DePodesta, who played football at Harvard, felt the movie didn't accurately portray him or his methods, since he's not all the nerdy character played by Jonah Hill, so he asked that his name be removed and the movie-makers obliged.