Wild Card Scheduling

single wing

Re: Wild Card Scheduling

Post by single wing »

I heard the same from another source that it was because of the Minnesota-Green Bay Sunday night game. The NFl did not want to put either of those teams thru a short week.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

MatthewToy wrote:Do more people really watch the Saturday games more than the Sunday games?
Saturday night is the worst night of the week for TV viewing, so networks are happy to have something that will boost their primetime Saturday ratings, even if they're not as high as Sunday ratings. And certainly the NFL doesn't want four playoff games on Sunday, since it would be impossible for fans to watch all four.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

rhickok1109 wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:Do more people really watch the Saturday games more than the Sunday games?
Saturday night is the worst night of the week for TV viewing, so networks are happy to have something that will boost their primetime Saturday ratings, even if they're not as high as Sunday ratings. And certainly the NFL doesn't want four playoff games on Sunday, since it would be impossible for fans to watch all four.
I get that. Just seems like the Steelers always get stuck with that Saturday night game and you'd think they'll put the least watchable game in that spot.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Rupert Patrick wrote: 2010 - Jets-Colts (Saints-Seahawks, Ravens-Chiefs, Packers-Eagles) [I would have went with Packers-Eagles myself, but Jets-Colts was not a bad matchup either]
Tod was wondering why the AFC games are on one day and the NFC games are on the other day. I replied it is the same reason why only NFC teams played on Thanksgiving. In other words, the league has started to make exceptions to "Fox shows NFC" and "CBS shows AFC" games thing.

In 2010, because the Saints-Seahawks game was the early Saturday game there was no possible way that Packers-Eagles could have been played on Saturday night. If so, it would have meant Fox would have been stuck doing an AFC game on Sunday. It just wasn't done that way back then.