'94 Chargers VS '98 Falcons

74_75_78_79_

'94 Chargers VS '98 Falcons

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Who do you think is best between these '90s SB-participants. Despite one having had an 11-5 regular season record and the other being 14-2, I'd call this a pretty even matchup.
7DnBrnc53

Re: '94 Chargers VS '98 Falcons

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Who do you think is best between these '90s SB-participants. Despite one having had an 11-5 regular season record and the other being 14-2, I'd call this a pretty even matchup.
98 Falcons would win. They weren't that bad of a team. That Charger team was one of the worst to ever make a Super Bowl.

In 98, I picked Atlanta to get a WC before the season started. In 94, everyone had SD fifth in the West in preseason.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Fun fact- the 1994 Chargers had the most points of any AFC team during the 13 year SB drought.

They had more return yards in SB XXIX than the Broncos had total offensive yards in SB XXIV.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I would take the 'Dirty Birds' in this one, but both these squads deserve comparison with each another hence legitimizing this thread. People easily forget that SD actually did start out 6-0 in '94. The key thing both have in common, of course, is both squads being the 'boring', balanced squads that upended their heavily-favored, 'sexier' opponent in their respective CC-games. However, in each team's Super Bowl, they being too-balanced was certainly to their detriment - too outmatched/outgunned in each case - whereas the teams they upset to get there (the 'Burgh with their Blitz, Vikes with their insane longball) very likely give SF and Denver much better games if not actually win.

Bobby Ross will forever go down as an underrated HC to me. Not too ("criminally") underrated, but underrated just the same. Whether SD is the "worst team to ever make the Bowl" or not, they beating the heavily-favored Steelers (although they were a bit too blitz-heavy for their own good) has to serve as some testimony to the kind of coach he was. The following year, if not for Stan tossing 4-INTs vs Indy, they likely return to the AFCC/Pittsburgh. As a Steeler fan, I was relieved when that happened, especially considering the hot-streak SD ended their season with! SD at Arrowhead in the divisionals? Come on. Not counting '93/Montana, when else did KC win a playoff game in the '90s?? Also echoing what some say about the '92 AFC playoffs, SD likely matches up quite better with Buffalo than rainstorm-assisted Miami did. Not too far from at least three CC-appearances in a 4-year stretch (maybe better).

As much 'fun' and exciting those Coryell early-'80s Bolts were, if the '94 installment goes back in time and plays against them, my money is on Bobby taking a page from the books of '79 Oilers/'80 Raiders/'81 Bengals/'82 Dolphins and bringing his troops back to the future a winner.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

The following year, if not for Stan tossing 4-INTs vs Indy, they likely return to the AFCC/Pittsburgh. As a Steeler fan, I was relieved when that happened, especially considering the hot-streak SD ended their season with! SD at Arrowhead in the divisionals? Come on. Not counting '93/Montana, when else did KC win a playoff game in the '90s??
I watched the 1995 Indy-KC playoff online a week ago. Bono was rough in that game. The Chargers probably could have won if they went there.

A sidenote to that KC loss: They put in Rich Gannon at the end after Bono had several INT's. He almost threw a TD to Lake Dawson that would have put them up by four late in the game, but it was a little high, and Dawson couldn't quite control it. What if Bono got hurt, and Gannon hits that pass for a TD?

If Gannon gets them to the Super Bowl (they would have had Pittsburgh coming into their building), maybe it's his job moving forward, and they don't even bring in Grbac in 1997.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

The thing with the '94 Chargers is that I thought they had a shot against SF. They weren't a finesse offense-first team like previous AFC champs.

And of course go figure the finesse pass-first 49ers beat the physical Chargers.
JWL

Post by JWL »

CSKreager wrote:The thing with the '94 Chargers is that I thought they had a shot against SF. They weren't a finesse offense-first team like previous AFC champs.

And of course go figure the finesse pass-first 49ers beat the physical Chargers.

I didn't think they had any chance. I went bike riding during a major portion of Super Bowl 29. I just did not want to see SF winning.
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79 wrote:Not counting '93/Montana, when else did KC win a playoff game in the '90s??
Kansas City beat the L.A. Raiders in the 1991 playoffs. It was a hard hitting game with a lot of interceptions and running. It was very different than the typical 2015 NFL game. Each team had a heavy load running back gain over 100 yards. Lonnie Marts had a key interception late in the game.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:Kansas City beat the L.A. Raiders in the 1991 playoffs. It was a hard hitting game with a lot of interceptions and running. It was very different than the typical 2015 NFL game. Each team had a heavy load running back gain over 100 yards. Lonnie Marts had a key interception late in the game.
They had played eachother the week before, too. It wasn't the best played game but it was one of my favorite early 90's playoff games. UW and great HS kicker from WA Jeff Jaeger did all the scoring for LA.

Also, SF over SD in the Super Bowl was one of the easiest blowout predictions in SB history.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

[quote="74_75_78_79_"]I would take the 'Dirty Birds' in this one, but both these squads deserve comparison with each another hence legitimizing this thread. People easily forget that SD actually did start out 6-0 in '94. The key thing both have in common, of course, is both squads being the 'boring', balanced squads that upended their heavily-favored, 'sexier' opponent in their respective CC-games. However, in each team's Super Bowl, they being too-balanced was certainly to their detriment - too outmatched/outgunned in each case - whereas the teams they upset to get there (the 'Burgh with their Blitz, Vikes with their insane longball) very likely give SF and Denver much better games if not actually win.

Bobby Ross will forever go down as an underrated HC to me. Not too ("criminally") underrated, but underrated just the same. Whether SD is the "worst team to ever make the Bowl" or not, they beating the heavily-favored Steelers (although they were a bit too blitz-heavy for their own good) has to serve as some testimony to the kind of coach he was. The following year, if not for Stan tossing 4-INTs vs Indy, they likely return to the AFCC/Pittsburgh. As a Steeler fan, I was relieved when that happened, especially considering the hot-streak SD ended their season with! SD at Arrowhead in the divisionals? Come on. Not counting '93/Montana, when else did KC win a playoff game in the '90s?? Also echoing what some say about the '92 AFC playoffs, SD likely matches up quite better with Buffalo than rainstorm-assisted Miami did. Not too far from at least three CC-appearances in a 4-year stretch (maybe better).

I would take the Falcons as well.

The thing that amazed me about that 1998 Atlanta squad, was their OL was not that impressive, from a personnel standpoint. Bob Whitfield was an excellent LT, but the names Ephraim Salaam, Robbie Tobeck, Dave Widell, Gene Williams, etc., did not exactly scream the 1980's L.A. Rams, the 1980's Redskins, or even the current Dallas group. Art Shell did a great job as the OL coach.

Hell, the DL had Travis Hall and Chuck Smith, both excellent players, but Lester Archambeau, the late Shane Dronett, John Burrough, and the great National Anthem "crooner" Esera Tuaolo, etc., were not world beaters, either.

Anyway, I would take the Falcons.

Furthermore, as an avid college football fan, Bobby Ross did an excellent job improving Maryland; he won a CO-NC at Georgia Tech in 1990, and of course, the job he did at San Diego. To me, he is the most underrated football coach I have ever seen, when you are talking college and pros combined.