Best AFC team, '84-thru-'96?

74_75_78_79_

Best AFC team, '84-thru-'96?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What's the best AFC team during that 13-year-stretch of NFC Super Bowl dominance? And it doesn't have to be a team that actually WON the conference. As much love as the '84 Dolphins will likely get on this thread, there are those who previously stated on this site that they felt Denver from that year was actually better (much more balanced) than Marino's bunch and would beat them at Joe Rob had they averted that Steeler upset (I agree as well). '88 Bengals not at all a bad pick, and '95 Steelers an underrated dark horse of sorts, but '90 Bills and '96 Broncos seem like cream of the crop to me.
7DnBrnc53

Re: Best AFC team, '84-thru-'96?

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I think that the 96 Broncos were the most dominant AFC team in that stretch. They had a good defense and a dominant offense. They just may have been overlooking the AFC, though, and looking ahead to Green Bay in New Orleans. That was a mistake. They ran into a hot young team with a great LT in Boselli, up and coming players Brunell, J. Smith, and McCardell, and they went home. It was a wake-up call that fueled two straight SB wins.

The 90 Bills didn't seem quite as dominant, especially at the beginning of the year.

When I watched that 30 for 30 about them, it seemed to me that they left out something when they talked about 1990: The three-game winning streak they had at home beginning with the Week 4 win against Denver.

They looked dead to rights in that game, and then Cornelius Bennett blocks a FG and returns it 90 yards for a TD. They go on to win, and then have two more come from behind wins at home in the fourth quarter the next two weeks.

That may have propelled them to the SB that year, and possibly four straight SB's. Without that win streak, they start 2-4, and who knows what happens to them? They were the Bickering Bills the year before, and the bickering could have continued if those three games go the other way. Then, that team may have been broken up the next off-season as a result.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

If you had asked at the end of the 1996 season, I would have said the 1990 Bills. They did get off to a slow start, needing two defense and special teams- provided big plays to eke out wins over Denver and LA. But after another last second win against the Jets, Buffalo went on a roll, beating their next four opponents by over a combined 100 points. (Two of the games were against a hapless New England squad.) After a loss in Houston, they proved themselves against powerful NFC East teams in Philly and New York.
The team was really well rounded. The K Gun offense was launched, of course. They protected the ball much better then later Bills teams. The defense could be run on, but they had a decent yards per rush average defensively. And the special teams provided a number of big plays, and not just from Steve Tasker.

That said, I would choose the 1996 Broncos. They were essentially the same team that would win consecutive Super Bowls.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Out of the box selection...1993 Oilers

Sure Moon threw too many picks that year but the passing attack was absolutely lethal when you factor in Carlsons contribution (and this was a "dead ball" era year for the NFL, big changes to loosen up the game came in 1994). Deep receiving corp with Slaughter, Givins, Jeffires, and Curtis Duncan.

Gary Brown out of nowhere gave them a respectable groundgame with Lorenzo White getting hurt. White still put up 465 yards in 8 games and was a receiving threat out of the backfield. Brown averaged over 5 yards a carry

Larcenous secondary and a ferocious pass rush that put up over 50 sacks. Sean Jones and William Fuller were a handful. Buddy Ryan throwing punches on the sidelines but he really whipped them into shape. Dominant D at times.

Good special teams from what I can remember. Del Greco was a very good kicker and Montgomery was averaging 45 yards a punt to lead the league

Rattled off 11 straight wins to end the season. Beat Pittsburgh twice, beat the 49ers. Gave up only 61 points over their last 6 games.

Would be interesting to see if they got past Montana how they would've done against Buffalo in the revenge game for 35-3

This Oiler team could've absolutely beat Dallas in the Super Bowl.
Last edited by sheajets on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwald

Post by mwald »

sheajets wrote:Out of the box selection...1993 Oilers

Sure Moon threw too many picks that year but the passing attack was absolutely lethal when you factor in Carlsons contribution (and this was a "dead ball" era year for the NFL, big changes to loosen up the game came in 1994). Deep receiving corp with Slaughter, Givins, Jeffires, and Curtis Duncan.

Gary Brown out of nowhere gave them a respectable groundgame with Lorenzo White getting hurt. White still put up 465 yards in 8 games and was a receiving threat out of the backfield. Brown averaged over 5 yards a carry

Larcenous secondary and a ferocious pass rush that put up over 50 sacks. Sean Jones and William Fuller were a handful. Buddy Ryan throwing punches on the sidelines but he really whipped them into shape. Dominant D at times.

Good special teams from what I can remember

Rattled off 11 straight wins to end the season. Beat Pittsburgh twice, beat the 49ers. Gave up only 61 points over their last 6 games.

Would be interesting to see if they got past Montana how they would've done against Buffalo in the revenge game for 35-3

Out of the box, indeed. But you sold me. Great summary of this team.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

conace21 wrote:That said, I would choose the 1996 Broncos. They were essentially the same team that would win consecutive Super Bowls.
Ok, you and 7dn very much SOLD me on this. Should have said strictly '96 Broncos anyway. After all, if I always considered '97/'98 installment to be better than '90 Bills, then why not this one? Shanny don't rest/rust the troops that December hence averting the Jaguar upset, Favre may have very well - very unfortunately - never gotten a Ring while the Tuna may have never ended up experiencing a Super Bowl DEFEAT. Not sure Denver three-peats though only because I feel Elway would have wanted to retire after getting his Ring, talked into playing another year, and then hanging it up after two-in-a-row as he actually did, only it would be a year earlier.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I still think that Favre and the Packers win the Super Bowl in New Orleans, regardless of who their opponent was. They were the first team since the undefeated Dolphins to lead the league in points scored and allowed. They only had the slight hiccup in the Metrodome while everyone was healthy. They lost two games in Dallas and KC without their top two receivers. But after they signed Andre Rison and Freeman came back, they didn't miss a beat. Favre in 1996 was heads and shoulders above every other QB in the league. Desmond Howard was of course a force on special teams all year. The addition of Eugene Robinson helped lead to a dramatic rise in takeaways. And the Packers were running the ball in time for the playoffs.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

conace21 wrote:I still think that Favre and the Packers win the Super Bowl in New Orleans, regardless of who their opponent was. They were the first team since the undefeated Dolphins to lead the league in points scored and allowed. They only had the slight hiccup in the Metrodome while everyone was healthy. They lost two games in Dallas and KC without their top two receivers. But after they signed Andre Rison and Freeman came back, they didn't miss a beat. Favre in 1996 was heads and shoulders above every other QB in the league. Desmond Howard was of course a force on special teams all year. The addition of Eugene Robinson helped lead to a dramatic rise in takeaways. And the Packers were running the ball in time for the playoffs.
I think an argument could be made that the 96 Packers were the strongest single team-season of the 90's. There are a few others in the discussion, 91 Redskins, 92 Cowboys, 94 49ers, 98 Broncos and 99 Rams, and maybe the 1998 Vikings and 90 49ers from the ranks of those who did not get to the Super Bowl. However, I think the 96 Packers were, relative to their league they played in, perhaps a shade better than all of them. If forced to pick a 90's single season team of the decade, I would go with the 96 Packers, I think. They were one of those 90's NFC teams who just knew it was their year and they weren't going to be stopped. However, if they had to face Denver in Super Bowl XXXI, I think it would have been a shootout just like their game the following year but I think Favre would have found a way to pull it out, just like Elway found a way to pull it out in Super Bowl XXXII.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

sheajets wrote:Out of the box selection...1993 Oilers

Good special teams from what I can remember. Del Greco was a very good kicker and Montgomery was averaging 45 yards a punt to lead the league

A bigger what if is if KC doesn't get by Pittsburgh in the WC round and they face the Raiders instead.

Hostetler/Jett/Brown/Kaufman would have been no day at the beach, but compared to Montana....
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

A bigger what if is if KC doesn't get by Pittsburgh in the WC round and they face the Raiders instead.

Hostetler/Jett/Brown/Kaufman would have been no day at the beach, but compared to Montana....
Kaufman wouldn't have been a problem because he was still in college at U-Dub.

As for the Oilers, though, I think they would have had a good chance against the Raiders, who were an undisciplined football team. They beat themselves against Buffalo with offside penalties, an ineligible man downfield penalty on Max Montoya (that wiped out a key completion early in the third quarter), and a stupid kick straight to Steve Tasker (who was playing in the first row on kickoff return) that he returned to the Raider 1.

The Bill-Steeler game would have been pretty compelling,though. Up until that 1993 MNF game, the Bills had their number. However, the tables were starting to turn after that 23-0 Steeler win. If the Steelers got a solid ground effort from Hoge and Leroy Thompson, and if they could have another defensive effort like they did on MNF (and like they would have against the Bills in future MNF games), they had a good chance to win.

If the Steelers went back to Houston for the AFC Title, though, they may play a bit better, but I think that Houston beats them soundly, and heads to SB 28, where they probably beat Dallas.