Joe Walton

John Grasso

Re: Joe Walton

Post by John Grasso »

Saban wrote: Dick Pesonen started out with Green Bay in 1960, went to Minnesota in 1961 and the Giants in 1962. Don't know if he was traded to New York or was picked up on waivers.
According to Diary of a Giants Fan by Richard Chilton he was traded for Cliff Livingston.
https://books.google.com/books?id=4zZGw ... en&f=false
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Thank you John. I always wondered who the Giants got for Livingston. Sherman was starting on his rebuilding. There were a lot of Giants on the wrong side of thirty then, and Allie was trying to head this off.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Saban wrote:Y.A. Tittle once called Joe Walton "the best third-down receiver in the game, bar none." That was according to Andy Robustelli in his book about his career.
I always admired Walton as a player.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Joe Walton fit in nicely with those Giants teams (1961-63). You had Shofner as the big receiver and Gifford caught his share. Gifford made some big catches. Walton could make catches and was a clutch receiver as YAT alluded to. He also would block despite being small for a tight end. I have read that he was a good blocker. Then they had Webster, Morrison, and King to throw screen passes and flat passes to. The Giants had a pretty good passer too with Y.A.

I think that I mentioned before that I think the Giants of that era were an all-star team.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

oldecapecod11 wrote:Two other guys who took the pressure off Patton were Erich Barnes and Allan Webb.

Erich Barnes was a pretty tough customer. I think that his best years were with the Giants (1961-64). He was good with Cleveland though.