Sneakers Game

Moran

Sneakers Game

Post by Moran »

Image Image
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Sneakers Game

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Great collectable! Here's a link to some highlights from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXsV4veLWI. I know the Giants won, but I love seeing those 1st half Nagurski runs.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Great! Thanks for sharing.

Ray Flaherty is a legend - from the great State of Washington.

Somewhat related, the High School he went to won the 4A state championship this past weekend.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Great collectable! Here's a link to some highlights from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXsV4veLWI. I know the Giants won, but I love seeing those 1st half Nagurski runs.
Good footage! I don't think I'd ever seen that stuff before.

When I was a kid, this was one of the most famous pro football games, but it's disappeared from all the lists now, presumably because the great majority of it isn't on film. That's a shame.

As for the letter from Flaherty, it's also excellent. He was a top-notch player and a great coach. One thing I didn't know before is legible his handwriting is.
TanksAndSpartans

Hi Bob,

Glad you got to see the footage. Not to go off topic, but would you happen to be the author of the book I'm looking for?: http://www.profootballresearchers.com/f ... 278#p10668
mwald

Post by mwald »

Great footage (YouTube! :o ), but the letter is even cooler. Really hits home how it was just another football game back then, but to us its the "Sneakers Game."
Moran

Post by Moran »

Reaser wrote:Great! Thanks for sharing.

Ray Flaherty is a legend - from the great State of Washington.

Somewhat related, the High School he went to won the 4A state championship this past weekend.
You probably know that when he played football at Gonzaga he was team-mates with Huston Stockton, John Stockton's grandfather; Flaherty and the elder Stockton were friends their whole lives and used to go to John's basketball games together.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Moran wrote:You probably know that when he played football at Gonzaga he was team-mates with Huston Stockton, John Stockton's grandfather; Flaherty and the elder Stockton were friends their whole lives and used to go to John's basketball games together.
Yup, also Flaherty went to Gonzaga High School (later known as Gonzaga Prep) and John Stockton also went to Gonzaga Prep. The Bullpups.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Hi Bob,
Glad you got to see the footage. Not to go off topic, but would you happen to be the author of the book I'm looking for?: http://www.profootballresearchers.com/f ... 278#p10668
Yeah, that was me. Are you sure the PFRA doesn't have any copies left? I'm not sure how many copies they printed, but I'd be kind of surprised if they sold them all.
TanksAndSpartans

Bob Gill wrote:Yeah, that was me. Are you sure the PFRA doesn't have any copies left? I'm not sure how many copies they printed, but I'd be kind of surprised if they sold them all.
Thanks Bob - PFRA said "out of print", the door was left open for the future, but I wouldn't call the response encouraging - I didn't get the feeling adding the book to my 2015 Christmas list would be a good idea. I think you're underestimating the popularity of your writing :)