Hall of Fame presenter trivia

ChrisBabcock

Re: Hall of Fame presenter trivia

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Ralph Wilson chose Chris Berman
Chris Berman has never even tried to hide the fact that he's a Bills fan. (taboo for a broadcaster)
"Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills!"
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Chris Berman has never even tried to hide the fact that he's a Bills fan. (taboo for a broadcaster)
I don't recall him being one until Marv Levy arrived.

Of all the Raiders in the HOF, the only ones not to choose Davis as a presenter were Howie Long (Earl Leggett, his DL coach) and Dave Casper (Madden). Mike Haynes, who only spent a portion of his career with the team, had his agent Howard Slusher handle things.

In the first 30 years of the ceremonies, only John Hannah (in 1991) had a family member (his father) present him. Walter Payton's son followed two years later, but starting in 1998, it's effectively become a tradition to have a child serve as a presenter. There have been 25 sons and four daughters during that span, along with six brothers and five fathers, but no mothers as of yet.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

In 1963, Supreme Court Justice Byron White presented Johnny Blood at the inauguration of the Pro Football hall of Fame. Blood had been the player-coach for Pittsburgh when White played for the team in 1938.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
I don't recall him being one until Marv Levy arrived.
The Bills were 2-14 in 1984 and 1985, and Berman was still developing his broadcasting style at that point. I think it was 1982 or 83 before the first time he ever uttered one of his baseball nicknames, and it was several years before it became part of of his schtick. By the time things began to come together for the Bills in 1988, Berman hopped on the Bills bandwagon.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Am thinking no one has an idea on the other reciprocating presenting duo, so I'll mention it: Tex Schramm and Pete Rozelle. And it's not one I would have guessed, myself.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

One thing I didn't realize about Tex Schramm was how many innovations in the NFL he apparently was responsible for introducing. Wikipedia gives him credit for introducing instant replay, computer technology in scouting, the 30 second play clock, wind direction flags on the goal post tops, the referee's microphone, multi-color striping of the 20 and 50 yard lines, and extra-wide sideline borders. He also apparently led the Competition Committee when it introduced things like moving the goal posts to the back of the end zone, the QB in-the-grasp rule, and regular-season use of overtime.

Wikipedia also explains the Rozelle-Schramm connection. Schramm was part of the Rams organization from 1947-1956, and during that a time hired Rozelle to be the team's public relations director.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Am thinking no one has an idea on the other reciprocating presenting duo, so I'll mention it: Tex Schramm and Pete Rozelle. And it's not one I would have guessed, myself.
wow. I never would have guessed that one. Interesting link between those two.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I had always thought that Lynn Swann and John Stallworth presented each other.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Teo wrote:I had always thought that Lynn Swann and John Stallworth presented each other.
Turns out Stallworth was Swann's presenter, but Stallworth had his son present him.