more trivia of the inane...

Rupert Patrick

Re: more trivia of the inane...

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Mark L. Ford wrote:OK, seeing how that sounds like a good answer to the Blanda-Namath puzzle, here's a trivia question that doesn't require much football knowledge --

Of these 12 words, which three are NOT in the King James Version of the Bible?
BEARS, COLTS, CHARGERS, EAGLES
FALCONS, GIANTS, JAGUARS, LIONS
RAMS, RAVENS, SAINTS, STEELERS
Steelers Chargers Jaguars
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

conace21 wrote:Namath and Blanda have both thrown 6 interceptions in a game three times. Blanda's Oilers actually beat Buffalo in one of the three games. The best Namath could do was a tie against Houston.
This is correct, however, Blanda's Oilers managed to win two of his three six-pick games. The other one was the '61 AFL title game.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:
Two of those three are correct.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Steelers, Chargers, Rams
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Todd Pence wrote:
conace21 wrote:Namath and Blanda have both thrown 6 interceptions in a game three times. Blanda's Oilers actually beat Buffalo in one of the three games. The best Namath could do was a tie against Houston.
This is correct, however, Blanda's Oilers managed to win two of his three six-pick games. The other one was the '61 AFL title game.
In the 1972 biography of George Blanda by Wells Twombly, Blanda had a justification for his high interception total. On third and long, he'd just heave the ball down the field. If intercepted, it was as good as a punt. And maybe would of his receivers would catch it.

When Blanda set the record for interceptions in 1962 with 42, Houston went 11-3 and won the AFL Eastern Division.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Todd Pence wrote:
I checked PFR and doublechecked The Football Encyclopedia. Houston threw six interceptions in the 1961 AFL title game, but only five of them came off Blanda. Bill Groman threw one pass and that was intercepted. The two other games I found where Blanda threw six interceptions were in 1962 against Dallas, and 1965 against Denver.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Mark L. Ford wrote:OK, seeing how that sounds like a good answer to the Blanda-Namath puzzle, here's a trivia question that doesn't require much football knowledge --

Of these 12 words, which three are NOT in the King James Version of the Bible?
BEARS, COLTS, CHARGERS, EAGLES
FALCONS, GIANTS, JAGUARS, LIONS
RAMS, RAVENS, SAINTS, STEELERS
Jaguars, Steelers, Colts?

Jags are a New World cat, and there was no steel back then. The third one? Much less sure there.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
bachslunch wrote: Jaguars, Steelers, Colts?

Jags are a New World cat, and there was no steel back then. The third one? Much less sure there.
"Colts" gets mentioned three times, either as the offspring of a camel or a donkey. In Genesis 32, Jacob brings Esau a gift that includes Rams and Colts ("200 she-goats, 20 he-goats, 200 ewes, and 20 rams; 30 milch camels with their colts, 40 kine (cows) and 10 bulls, 20 she asses, and 10 foals")

"Chargers" gets mentioned twice, and Ezra 1:9 refers to "30 chargers of gold, a thousand of chargers of silver" -- Most of us guys think about the NFL team, electrical equipment, a Dodge muscle car, a horse in battle and even a credit card when we hear the word charger. But a lot of our wives and girlfriends associate it also with a large platter that holds other dinnerware during formal dinners-- I had seen such things, but my wife had to explain that it was called a charger. Nowadays, they're often referred to as "charger plates" to avoid confusion. Great giveaway if San Diego has a ladies' night promotion.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Jaguars and Steelers are the 2 easy ones.
4 or 5 of them are obviously not correect.
I'll go out on a limb and say Falcons for the 3rd one.
JWL

Post by JWL »

When I saw Mark's post I figured Jaguars, Ravens and Steelers were the answers.