What old stadiums do you miss?

SixtiesFan

Re: What old stadiums do you miss?

Post by SixtiesFan »

Watching a game on TV from Tiger Stadium in Detroit.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

The era of Detroit Lions football in the Great Outdoors ended on Thanksgiving Day 1974 with a 31-27 loss to the Denver Broncos at Tiger Stadium. It was the last Lions game ever played at the fabled ballpark. The following year the team headed out to the Pontiac Silverdome...

“...I remember there wasn’t a great deal of emotion about it being the last game there because we were focused on winning and making the playoffs,” Lions’ legend Lem Barney recalls.
“Steve Owens was our Bronco Nagurski, our workhorse. It was a deflating and somber mood when he went down. We tried to rally but fell short.
“But when I was back home for dinner with my family it dawned on me that it was my last game there,” Barney says. “I really enjoyed the Tiger Stadium era. You can’t replace the spirit of the great players who played there. From time to time I used to drive down the Lodge freeway and will veer off at Bagley and drive by Tiger Stadium to just look at it. I preferred playing outdoors with the natural aesthetics. Nothing can replace natural grass, a much more forgiving surface. With the Silverdome it was more of a corporate scenario and we kind of lost the family mystique of Tiger Stadium.

~ BILL DOW – DECEMBER 10, 2010
https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/20 ... r-stadium/

---
Navin Field (1912–1938)
Briggs Stadium (1938–1960)
Tiger Stadium (1961–Thanksgiving 1974)
Attachments
BRIGGS.jpg
BRIGGS.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 13912 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I miss seeing the Packers play in Milwaukee.

And I miss any stadium that was replaced by one with an artificial surface.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Yankee Stadium (the old one, only one they ever payed in)
Yale Bowl
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

JuggernautJ wrote:I miss seeing the Packers play in Milwaukee.
It's interesting you say that, because County Stadium and Metropolitan Stadium are two places I absolutely don't miss, at least when it comes to football. Plenty of atmosphere and tailgating fun in both, but as with most baseball parks retrofitted for football, there was virtually no such thing as a good seat in either venue.

The first NFL game I ever went to was at County Stadium in 1976, and I was super excited to learn that our seats were in the front row. Unfortunately, it was the front row in what would normally be left-center field, which meant the playing field was about 30 yards away and the players on the shared sideline blocked our view.
Moran

Post by Moran »

A bit before my time but I am in love with the old photos showing spectators watching the game from their horse drawn carriages - Here is Jarvis field, an early home of Harvard football

Here is Manhattan Field, later the site of the Polo Grounds, along with a flyer reminding people when to arrive to secure their stalls.

Image Image
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Mike, those photos are fantastic - especially the second one showing the spectators on the hillside leading to Coogan's Bluff.
You are probably one of the few who remember the stairway that led from the street to the top of the bluff.
Here are links to the "re-dedication" and to the New York City site which contains a sound bite of "The shot heard 'round the world."
---
http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails? ... tywalk.com
---
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.2287046

New York celebrates legacy of Polo Grounds with rededication ceremony for iconic Brush Stairway
---
Attachments
John T Brush ID2.jpg
John T Brush ID2.jpg (143.38 KiB) Viewed 13859 times
John T Brush stairs.jpg
John T Brush stairs.jpg (145.65 KiB) Viewed 13859 times
John T Brush stairs2.jpg
John T Brush stairs2.jpg (145.69 KiB) Viewed 13859 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

I just wanted to thank the posters who provided photos for this thread. A lot of great pics and I especially appreciate the ones from the good old days!
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I love the old Franklin Field photos...here is one of Jim Brown standing on the sidelines.

Awhile back, I visited the old Balboa Stadium that the Chargers had used in the 1960's. The stadium had been almost completely demolished...only the field and the first set of sideline seats remained (capacity 3,000 versus the old capacity of 34,000). I always thought Balboa looked neat with the stone arches:

The old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City had terrible lighting, which led to some interesting photos:

BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I'm assuming the Steelers-Chiefs game is the MNF contest from 1971. I liked the fact that Municipal had the local advertising on huge billboards, as you can see from the attached photo.
Attachments
19650815SD@KC.jpg
19650815SD@KC.jpg (225.5 KiB) Viewed 13817 times