"Other Leagues"

Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

"Other Leagues"

Post by Ken Crippen »

The Talk of Fame Network is starting a six-part series on "other leagues." This week, they start talking about the AAFC:

http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/who-wa ... onference/
Reaser

Re: "Other Leagues"

Post by Reaser »

That should be interesting.

Off to a good start: "The AAFC began in 1946 and ran through 1949 before the NFL absorbed three of its best teams: the Baltimore Colts, Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers."

In what world were the Colts one of the three best teams?

I'm not surprised they would cover the CFL, I'm guessing not many view that the same as me:

CFL is a league for the sport of Canadian Football, while similar, different from the NFL/AAFC/AFL/USFL/WLAF - leagues for the sport of American Football.

^ - comment made within the context of "Hall of Fame" - Canada has their own. Which makes sense, to me.

Also interesting to spend time on the WLAF, though I was a huge fan of the league and recorded and still have nearly every game so ... guess it'll be cool to have them talk about it - but for a HOF specific 'show', I'm not sure why?

What? Are they going to vote for my guy Stan Gelbaugh? TD pass to Blades against the Broncos on MNF is still one of my favorite Seahawks memories (note: Al Michaels calling the play said Stouffer instead of Gelbaugh) ... Though when I think Gelbaugh, I think Frank Reich v. The U and I think London Monarchs and how he was great in '91 then deservedly benched for Fred the original "Air McNair" during the '92 season.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Had never heard of this network/show. Perhaps because, surprisingly, it doesn't air in the Minneapolis area.

Sounds interesting.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

The Talk of Fame Network, which begins a six-part “Out of This League” series, does not appear to be "Hall" specific
and the reference is to those players of the former Cleveland Browns who have been enshrined at Canton.
The use of the lure "Fame" is similar to many deceptive practices foisted upon the youth of America and a lot of old folks too.
It is clever - although repulsive - and you see it every day in your junk mail.

Since it has been posted that the show is not aired in Minneapolis, it would be interesting if they described how and
where the alleged "poll" was conducted.
Watch out! The next thing this "poll" might tell us is that Artie Donovan was a single-wing triple-threat tailback and
that will elicit some laughter from Above.
R.I.P.
~AD~

Hmmm... maybe because the A-AFC preceded the Vikings by about a generation they decided anything pre-Vikings
need not be shown in Minnesota?

Meanwhile, NOWHERE is there a better in-depth recap of the A-AFC than in our own Members Only section.

Yea! for that committee!

(Edited for Format 20150813-0914)
Last edited by oldecapecod11 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

mwald wrote:Had never heard of this network/show. Perhaps because, surprisingly, it doesn't air in the Minneapolis area.

Sounds interesting.
It doesn't air in Philly, either. You have to listen to it online at their website.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

oldecapecod11 wrote: Since it has been posted that the show is not aired in Minneapolis, it would be interesting if they described how and where the alleged "poll"
was conducted.
All polls are done on their website.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Ken Crippen wrote:It doesn't air in Philly, either. You have to listen to it online at their website.
Never even thought to check on if it aired in WA (I don't really listen to the radio anyways) but looking it up, it doesn't.

I just thought it was only online anyways, have listened to a handful of shows. It's hit or miss but there is some good HOF related details from time to time. Plus Ken has been on there two times, I believe.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Reaser wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:It doesn't air in Philly, either. You have to listen to it online at their website.
Never even thought to check on if it aired in WA (I don't really listen to the radio anyways) but looking it up, it doesn't.

I just thought it was only online anyways, have listened to a handful of shows. It's hit or miss but there is some good HOF related details from time to time. Plus Ken has been on there two times, I believe.
I have been on there twice. The "State Your Case" pieces can be interesting.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Just noticed my post is one of the ones that was lost in the server issue ... re-post:

Was last Friday meant to be their "AAFC" show? I only skipped through but other than the Jones interview it doesn't seem like they spent much time on the AAFC.

Also, what stood out was the odd attendance comment about Chicago, Buffalo and LA being "doomed to fail".

Didn't Buffalo have good support and - other than their maiden season - outdraw multiple NFL teams? (Rhetorical)

Didn't the Dons outdraw the Rams in 2 of the 4 seasons?
mwald

Post by mwald »

Reaser wrote:
Didn't the Dons outdraw the Rams in 2 of the 4 seasons?
My post was also deleted. I had responded that various newspaper accounts from the day mention the Dons outdrawing the Rams.