Post by Wendell02 »

For me its the Gale Sayers rookie card. Philadelphia 1966, card #38:
Attachments
Gale Sayers Rookie Card.jpg
Gale Sayers Rookie Card.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 14503 times
rockhawk

Re: Your nominations for best football card ever

Post by rockhawk »

The birch trees, which are everywhere in Northeast Wisconsin, are a nice touch in Tony Canadeo's '51 Bowman card.
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

....nosing out ernie stautner's fleer '61 card(#125) to win is dickie james in the topps '63 set(#167)...a classic.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

coachtj wrote:....nosing out ernie stautner's fleer '61 card(#125) to win is dickie james in the topps '63 set(#167)...a classic.
Ha! I HAD that one -- not that I remember it specifically, but I managed to get the whole Topps set for a few years, from about 1962-65, so obviously that was included. And James was my favorite player at the time, too; that was his last year with the Redskins. After the trade to New York he faded from my consciousness, and a 1964 rookie, Charley Taylor, took his place, but I still have fond memories of James wearing number 47 and tiptoeing down the sidelines on a punt return or after catching a pass from Norm Snead.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I don't know about card, but the 1967 Philadelphia set is the most visually appealing I've ever seen. The photography, the layout, the typography, the use of color, the logo cards -- it all works.

Denis Crawford

Post by Denis Crawford »

Bryan wrote:Image
That is Mike Rae of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Baker is throttling. Rae did play for the Bucs in 1980 but was released during the season and didn't play in the Detroit game at the Silverdome. I wonder if this photo is from the 1978 game Rae started when Doug Williams missed most of the second half of the season with a broken jaw.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Denis Crawford wrote:That is Mike Rae of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Baker is throttling. Rae did play for the Bucs in 1980 but was released during the season and didn't play in the Detroit game at the Silverdome. I wonder if this photo is from the 1978 game Rae started when Doug Williams missed most of the second half of the season with a broken jaw.
Considering Bubba had over 20 sacks that year (as a rookie) that's probably a good guess.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

I like this one of Roger Brown. Little known fact, Mr. Brown was a favorite of Saints rookie RB, Ricky Williams who often gave homage to his hero, during locker room interviews. :D :D
James

Post by James »

Larry Little All-Pro 1974 Topps football card was always a favorite of mine and one of my favorite players....
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!