Caught in the Draft 1965: Spies, Superstars and Babysitters

Wendell02

Caught in the Draft 1965: Spies, Superstars and Babysitters

Post by Wendell02 »

Premiers Thursday on NFL Network, 9 pm Eastern. Namath, Sayers, Biletnikoff, Butkus, Hanburger. Other notables: Craig Morton, Lance Rentzel, Otis Taylor, Jim Nance, Jethro Pugh, Mike Curtis, Jack Snow, Marty Schottenheimer, Ken Willard, Donny Anderson. Did I miss anyone? Should be a good show.

According to my handy-dandy TF2 book, Sayers was drafted by the Bears and the Chiefs. Hurts my brain to think what he would have done in Hank Stram's complicated offense in the late 1960's. Does anyone know if he talked to Kansas City?
LJP

Re: Caught in the Draft 1965: Spies, Superstars and Babysitt

Post by LJP »

In 1965 Sayers said that he talked with Hunt, but wanted to play in the NFL - http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1965 ... t-expected
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Others:

Carl "Spider" Lockhart, Ed Flanagan, Gary Garrison, Roy Jefferson, Walter Johnson, Ralph Neely, Dick Gordon and Marty Schottenheimer.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I hope they discuss the January 2, 1965 Gator Bowl. Several Oklahoma players were kicked off the team for signing pro contracts prior to the Gator Bowl game.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

SixtiesFan wrote:I hope they discuss the January 2, 1965 Gator Bowl. Several Oklahoma players were kicked off the team for signing pro contracts prior to the Gator Bowl game.
Amongst them Ralph Neely and Lance Rentzel. As for their opponent that day, Florida State, Steve Tensi and Fred Biletnikoff signed their pro contracts in the field after the game. It's said that there is footage of Al Davis with Biletnikoff right after the final gun.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Always cool to see Coach Troup on these type of programs.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Teo wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:I hope they discuss the January 2, 1965 Gator Bowl. Several Oklahoma players were kicked off the team for signing pro contracts prior to the Gator Bowl game.
Amongst them Ralph Neely and Lance Rentzel. As for their opponent that day, Florida State, Steve Tensi and Fred Biletnikoff signed their pro contracts in the field after the game. It's said that there is footage of Al Davis with Biletnikoff right after the final gun.
There was a segment on Ralph Neely. He chuckled about signing an "undated" contract as if that didn't violate rules Neely would have been informed about for four years.

By the way, Lance Rentzel discussed this incident in his 1972 book. Rentzel expressed regret at letting down his Oklahoma team mates. Rentzel also claimed Florida State players (including Biletniloff who was also interviewed on this show) had signed contracts before the game and should have been ineligible.

Was Fred Biletnikoff's signing by the Raiders after the Gator Bowl game the second time? Would Al Davis do something unethical?

Pete Rozelle, when general manager of the Rams in 1959, signed LSU Heisman Trophy winner Billy Cannon to an "undated" contract prior to the 1960 Sugar Bowl. Cannon later signed with the Houston Oilers and was awarded to Houston after a court battle.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I was glad to see a segment on Tucker Frederickson. The Giants picked him Number One because they knew he would sign with them, which was a consideration during those years. They also wanted a big back for their system.

Frederickson made the mistake of telling the AFL not to draft him since he was signing with the Giants. This caused him to not get that large a contract.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Reaser wrote:Always cool to see Coach Troup on these type of programs.
If they are going to do these shows next year, Coach should tell them about the 1976 draft being televised on a Boston PBS station. Maybe they could include that in their 1976 episode.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Did NFL Films really have all that footage sitting around of Bob Timberlake missing field goals? I can't imagine that was part of the Giants highlight film.