Who was better, Ken Riley or Lemar Parrish?

JohnTurney

Who was better, Ken Riley or Lemar Parrish?

Post by JohnTurney »

Post-season honors or interceptions
Jay Z

Re: Who was better, Ken Riley or Lemar Parrish?

Post by Jay Z »

Parrish scored more TDs and had value in the return game.

This came up a few years ago, and in looking at the game books, Parrish generally covered the tougher receiver on the other team. I think Paul Warfield may have been an exception. My guess would be that other teams stopped throwing at Parrish after a while, Riley was excellent too and took advantage. Based on what I have seen, I'd vote for Parrish.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

I take Parrish all the way.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I think it's Parrish, easily.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Parrish is the Lem Barney, Riley is the Dick LeBeau.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

The push for Riley is coming from the Bengals. And the main case is his interception total, second all-time behind Night Train. The issue with that is Dave Brown is just 3 picks behind Riley.

Parrish was a favorite of the Pro Bowl votes (coaches and players) and there is likely merit in the belief that the three early Pro Bowls Parrish made were influenced by his return skills (shouldn't players get credit for being able to participate and excel in special teams?)

Riley never made a Pro Bowl but he had post-season honors four times. Parrish got honors en times, including three times All-Pro (Riley one)

In terms of skills sets it is thought that Parrish was a gambler, took chances and made big plays but also got beat on occasion. Riley was more textbook, took fewer chances, but perhaps go thrown at more, not sure about that .. but was solid.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Parrish, easily (to second Bob's way of phrasing it) ...

Though who knows, Riley played longer and evidently 'longevity' (i.e. seasons/games played) is a top criteria for many people.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I always thought that Parrish was better in the early part of the 1970s, and Riley was better in the latter part of the 1970s. If I had to pick one, it would have to be Parrish, because he could also double as a punt and kick returner.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Parrish (3/8/none and top KR) over Riley (1/0/none) and I don't think it's all that close.