ARCHIVE - WAS HOT

Chicago Tribune Archives
Started by LJP, Sep 29 2014 12:15 PM

Page 1 of 2

24 replies to this topic

#1 LJP
Forum Visitors
Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:15 PM
Currently in beta, but with free access for now.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/

The text search doesn't seem to work too well at the moment.

I have found it easier to search by date and browse the relevant issue, although this is more time consuming.

#2 mwald
PFRA Member
Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:25 PM
Nice to see this. The search parameter capabilities aren't as robust as offered by Proquest Historical, but when a newspaper offers access to their archives free to the general public, it's a good thing.

#3 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:37 PM
I haven't tried a text search yet, but it's great just to be able to type in the date and read the Tribune from that day. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, LJP.

#4 Mark L. Ford
Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:26 PM
OK, this definitely has to be the quickest I've ever gotten to a requested newspaper. Basically, you just type in http://archives.chicagotribune.com/ followed by the year/month/day/ and you're there. Then you clickon the pages button and it displays images of the pages. Even the Google News Archive is like scrolling through a microfilm.

http://archives.chic...com/1974/07/11/ will lead you to July 11, 1974

http://archives.chic...0/12/09/page/21 took me right to 73-0.
(had to click the pages button to reach the page and then share it-- in both cases, you can scroll up and down once you reach a particular page

Amazing! I feel like a kid who got a new toy...

#5 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:56 PM
This is great.

#6 mwald
PFRA Member
Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:43 PM
For those with access to Proquest, there's nothing new here in terms of information. But the pages are beautifully presented and a joy to look through. Very well done by the CT.

#7 Mark L. Ford
Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:14 PM
And the price is right...

#8 apbaball
PFRA Member
Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:20 PM
LJP, on 29 Sept 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:
Currently in beta, but with free access for now.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/

The text search doesn't seem to work too well at the moment.

I have found it easier to search by date and browse the relevant issue, although this is more time consuming.
Thanks! Awesome

#9 apbaball
PFRA Member
Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:47 PM
apbaball, on 01 Oct 2014 - 1:20 PM, said:
Thanks! Awesome

Wow, I remember reading guys like Cooper Rollow, Don Pierson, Jerome Holtzman, Bob Verdi, Fred Mitchell and Rick Talley as a kid Been scanning for the last hour. My wife may never see me again

#10 luckyshow
Forum Visitors
Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:15 PM
I have Proquest but the only historical archives on mine is the New York Times. For this paper only back maybe to 1996, but no agate print. This is much better for both the modern pages where everything from ads to boxscores can be seen, and for the past back to the early years. Very nice.

#11 apbaball
PFRA Member
Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:05 AM
luckyshow, on 01 Oct 2014 - 8:15 PM, said:
I have Proquest but the only historical archives on mine is the New York Times. For this paper only back maybe to 1996, but no agate print. This is much better for both the modern pages where everything from ads to boxscores can be seen, and for the past back to the early years. Very nice.

I think I read somewhere the NYT gives access to some of its archives with a digital subscription to the paper. Anyone have that?

I believe They have two different archives; up until 1980 and after 1980. Anyone know what comes with the subscription and how easy is it to navigate. I prefer archives where you can look up by date as well as topic.

#12 Mark L. Ford
Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:11 AM
The NYT does allow the general public access to individual articles up to 1922, kind of the way that Proquest used to, where you see the story by itself rather than in the context of the rest of the paper. From 1923 to 1986, you can see headlines and get an abstract with a date on it. In both cases, though, the only searching is to look at a page of one week's headlines and scan that page.

http://spiderbites.nytimes.com/

That same, no-earlier-than-1922 limitation, is in this free source as well http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/, which is very searchable. I've been curious about whether one of those digital NYT subscriptions that I get offers for would allow access to a search, though I have my doubts that it would.

Finally, I will say this-- newspaperarchive.com, which has often sucked because of poorly thought out design and frequent fixes of things that had been fine the way they were, is actually quite good at the moment, highlighting the words searched when it displays a newspaper, and allowing you to magnify and move around the page simply by using the mouse, rather than clicking on icons. There's hope for it yet.

#13 luckyshow
Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:02 PM
I didn't renew newspaper archives this year for a variety of reasons, one being they neglected to tell me it had run out and I needed to renew. Another was their ever increasingly lousy tech support.

Now I note that they allow a minimal amount of actual usage without a subscription, even as it is even harder to locate the Advanced Search (as with google. I believe the advanced search should be the default. If the internet can be great for research why do they treat the public like grade schoolers? No wonder fewer and fewer know how to do true research). Anyway, I am unsure if what they present to non-subscribers is all they now offer. Because they only give one way to view a page, and it is the worst of the choices they used to have. This was one thing they never answered me about. Why with this format, when zoomed up to a size one can read, does the bottom of the page becoe impossible to see. The scroll only goes part way to the bottom. Since a lot of what Is earch for tends to be in small mentions at bottom of pages, this sucks. Have they eliminated the other formats to view a page? I recall they did eliminate one type, but the better one still remained. Now it seems gone, too. Sorry I forget the various types designations/names. jpg...adobe...not sure...

Through my library, with home access, I get the NY Times full , from the first to the last they have scanned in. I don't like the new page to search with, I liked it better when the archive search was on same page where you could also search the other type of Proquest pages, that just show a particular article, from the past few decades, as well as every other newspaper in this section.

I recall in this manner, sometimes they would have other historical archives, the Boston Globe, the Hartford Cournat, Atlanta Constitution....I think these were teases or when they first were putting them up. In the new format this is impossible as the Times is on its own separate page unconnected to anything else. It was also easier to do a particular exacting search with the old interfaces. My favorite is the Brooklyn library's Brooklyn Eagle search engine (only up to 1902). There is a newer Eagle search somewhere I have used which isn't as great. The Fulton Postcard page where almost every New York newspaper is on (but far from all of them, he only somehow scanned what New York state allows to borrow. They don't carry everything. Staten Island Advance, for instance) . But as remarkable an achievement as this is for one person, a private individual, it is quite hard to search in various ways. Sometimes a search is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

But I wish this type of archives was available for other states. I also wish there was a true central source that would tell you all the scanned, archived and indexed periodicals on line. I ran across Fordham's old weeklies almost by accident. Even their librarian didn't tell me about that. I think Columbia Spectator is also on line. I need to research 1897, the only year I have zero football for them...

#14 Nwebster
Forum Visitors
Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:58 PM
Ok so is the site beat navigated by searching a date, I searched Bill George and got ZERO hits - what am I doing wrong?

#15 apbaball
PFRA Member
Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:15 PM
Nick,

Worked for me.

http://archives.chic.../?q=Bill george

#16 luckyshow
Forum Visitors
Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:23 AM
I am removing this, it became a mess. For some reason I had a result, but the page it showed me was wrong, by looking through the pages (from a click at bottom), I found it maybe 80 pages further down . Makes no sense....

#17 apbaball
PFRA Member
Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:06 AM
NWebster, on 02 Oct 2014 - 7:58 PM, said:
Ok so is the site beat navigated by searching a date, I searched Bill George and got ZERO hits - what am I doing wrong?

If you are having problems I'd contact the Trib. Perhaps the more replies they get the longer it stays in beta and FREE

#18 apbaball
PFRA Member
Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:08 AM
luckyshow, on 02 Oct 2014 - 1:02 PM, said:
I didn't renew newspaper archives this year for a variety of reasons, one being they neglected to tell me it had run out and I needed to renew. Another was their ever increasingly lousy tech support.

Now I note that they allow a minimal amount of actual usage without a subscription, even as it is even harder to locate the Advanced Search (as with google. I believe the advanced search should be the default. If the internet can be great for research why do they treat the public like grade schoolers? No wonder fewer and fewer know how to do true research). Anyway, I am unsure if what they present to non-subscribers is all they now offer. Because they only give one way to view a page, and it is the worst of the choices they used to have. This was one thing they never answered me about. Why with this format, when zoomed up to a size one can read, does the bottom of the page becoe impossible to see. The scroll only goes part way to the bottom. Since a lot of what Is earch for tends to be in small mentions at bottom of pages, this sucks. Have they eliminated the other formats to view a page? I recall they did eliminate one type, but the better one still remained. Now it seems gone, too. Sorry I forget the various types designations/names. jpg...adobe...not sure...

Through my library, with home access, I get the NY Times full , from the first to the last they have scanned in. I don't like the new page to search with, I liked it better when the archive search was on same page where you could also search the other type of Proquest pages, that just show a particular article, from the past few decades, as well as every other newspaper in this section.

I recall in this manner, sometimes they would have other historical archives, the Boston Globe, the Hartford Cournat, Atlanta Constitution....I think these were teases or when they first were putting them up. In the new format this is impossible as the Times is on its own separate page unconnected to anything else. It was also easier to do a particular exacting search with the old interfaces. My favorite is the Brooklyn library's Brooklyn Eagle search engine (only up to 1902). There is a newer Eagle search somewhere I have used which isn't as great. The Fulton Postcard page where almost every New York newspaper is on (but far from all of them, he only somehow scanned what New York state allows to borrow. They don't carry everything. Staten Island Advance, for instance) . But as remarkable an achievement as this is for one person, a private individual, it is quite hard to search in various ways. Sometimes a search is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

But I wish this type of archives was available for other states. I also wish there was a true central source that would tell you all the scanned, archived and indexed periodicals on line. I ran across Fordham's old weeklies almost by accident. Even their librarian didn't tell me about that. I think Columbia Spectator is also on line. I need to research 1897, the only year I have zero football for them...

Do you have to pay extra to have archive access or does it come with a digital subscription?

#19 luckyshow
Forum Visitors
Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:30 PM
I used to pay for newspaperarchive.com but recently haven't. I am not sure if they allow unlimited views, or just a few a day. Also, as I said I am unsure if the paid subscription brings back some of the features I mentioned as missing now. But you can do a full advanced search and look through the results and see individual pages (not sure how many)

Proquest access at home and other newspaper research sources from my library that I can access at home, no charge . All I need is my library card number.

Fulton Postcards for NY papers is free, Brooklyn Library Eagle access is free, the Fordham and Columbia periodicals I mentioned also free.
Not sure what else you might be referring to. If only New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, had a Fulton Postcards or even a library service like New York still has where you can borrow their microwave holdings (which is how Fulton Postcards accessed the microwave he somehow digitalized). I wish all papers had what the Chicago Tribune has, which while not perfect. (For instance, I can't find an advanced search feature). I also wish Illinois wasn't a state I have almost all the historic numbers I look for (I do always find what official compilations miss) I'd love this for Philadelphia, though I noticed that Fulton Postcards now has the Philadelphia Inquirer...

#20 mwald
PFRA Member
Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:06 PM
luckyshow, on 04 Oct 2014 - 2:30 PM, said:
I noticed that Fulton Postcards now has the Philadelphia Inquirer...

The guy who put together the Fulton Postcards site should be commended for his efforts. Outstanding work.

That said, the search capability is so frustrating it requires the patience of a tibetan monk to find what you're looking for. If you have any tips in this regard, do tell.

Page 1 of 2
oldecapecod 11

Chicago Tribune Archives
Started by LJP, Sep 29 2014 12:15 PM

Page 2 of 2

24 replies to this topic

#21 luckyshow
Forum Visitors
Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:28 AM
For Fulton Postcard, all I can relate is:
There is a page he has where you can locate individual papers (not truly alphabatized if I recall) and search at least within a paper.
Now let's say you find a paper and want to go to another page within that paper or later in week, etc. Now one could right click on a result in the results list , get the newspaper page on a separate web page.

But manipulating the html link WON'T work by changing the number anywhere. It just doesn't,ut changing the result designation (internal link? I don't know what to call it) does. Turning the page would be changing the number in that blue "link", if you know where you might want to go in that issue or later in week, just change that number, add the pages needed to get there and if at first you don't succeed, keep changing it. Using the entire interior link as your search words, all of it, within quote marks, put in the interior search window at bottom of the results column.Keep changing the number at end of that line. Make it larger or smaller to approach another day, week, month. Not even close to a perfect method.

Andthat is all I can relate. Otherwise, it is truly hard to pinpoint for other newspapers that you might want on same sbject except searching as you and I need to do....

#22 mwald
PFRA Member
Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:02 AM
luckyshow, on 05 Oct 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:
For Fulton Postcard, all I can relate is:
There is a page he has where you can locate individual papers (not truly alphabatized if I recall) and search at least within a paper.
Now let's say you find a paper and want to go to another page within that paper or later in week, etc. Now one could right click on a result in the results list , get the newspaper page on a separate web page.

But manipulating the html link WON'T work by changing the number anywhere. It just doesn't,ut changing the result designation (internal link? I don't know what to call it) does. Turning the page would be changing the number in that blue "link", if you know where you might want to go in that issue or later in week, just change that number, add the pages needed to get there and if at first you don't succeed, keep changing it. Using the entire interior link as your search words, all of it, within quote marks, put in the interior search window at bottom of the results column.Keep changing the number at end of that line. Make it larger or smaller to approach another day, week, month. Not even close to a perfect method.

And that is all I can relate. Otherwise, it is truly hard to pinpoint for other newspapers that you might want on same sbject except searching as you and I need to do....
Thanks

#23 mwald
PFRA Member
Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:19 PM
Fulton Post Cards has a downloadable Excel file index of their newspapers, here:

http://www.fultonhis...pers/index.html

#24 luckyshow
Forum Visitors
Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:34 AM
A problem with this index is it seems in no particular order, not alphabetical at all.

#25 mwald
PFRA Member
Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:07 PM
luckyshow, on 06 Oct 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:
A problem with this index is it seems in no particular order, not alphabetical at all.

Excel has a wonderful column sort feature, give it a try.

Page 2 of 2
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
LJP

Re: Chicago Tribune Archives

Post by LJP »

For TimmyB (I would PM him, but can't on the new board?!), some early uniform information from the Tribune archives...

1922 Minneapolis Marines (October 23, page 25): -

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1922 ... h-the-line

1922 Rock Island Independents (November 22, page 38 bottom left): -

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1922 ... cago-hotel

1922 Chicago Bears (December 11, page 38 bottom middle): -

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1922 ... ars-9-to-0

1923 Dayton Triangles (October 29, page 38 bottom right): -

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1923 ... s-captured

1923 Racine Legion (November 26, page 32 bottom middle): -

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1923 ... -hyde-park