2017 NFL Season Discussion

Reaser

Re: 2017 NFL Season Discussion

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:"Brockmire" that stars Hank Azaria as the washed up baseball announcer, he absolutely nails that character all the way down to the plaid sports jacket.
Liked the Brockmire character since I saw him on NFL Network when Rich Eisen would have his show. Never watch IFC but glad I heard about it a week before it premiered. Not always hilarious but usually funny enough and I enjoy the old school baseball announcer role -- which I agree, he nails it.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JWL wrote:What is it with some of these coaches?

As a Jets fan, I actually sort of liked it (a full tank mode, 1-15 season is fine with me to get this mess sorted out), but Todd Bowles ordered a punt at the Jets 44 yard line with the team down by a score of 21-12 with just over four minutes to go in the game. I said to myself, "The Jets may never get the ball back." The Jets did get the ball back but it was after the two minute warning. Predictably, the Jets never scored again.

The Giants trailed by multiple scores with very little time left. They would only be able to avoid a loss (I don't recall if the score was 16-3 or 19-3) by scoring a touchdown, converting an onside kick, and scoring another touchdown (with PATs or 2-pointers depending on what the score was; again, I can't recall the score). The Giants half-assed it. They had to try a Hail Mary right away. Time was running out. The Giants approached the situation as if they were down by one score. They were just about guaranteed to lose the way they handled things. Why not try to win or just call some lame draw plays and run out the clock and go home?

I don't get stuff like this. Do you?
I don't get it either. I mean this is such basic football awareness...he doesn't seem to have it. He's truly a terrible coach. How could anybody have recommended him for the gig?

I would be shocked if the Raiders don't hang at least 40 on us. That is going to be an ugly ugly game
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

It seems that NFL.com does not carry 2017 gamebooks on their site; in previous seasons, they used to be available in the Game Center area for each game where you could download them. Now you have to go to NFLGSIS.com to get them.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

There has been issues with the lackluster play thru the first two weeks of the season, that so far scoring is on pace for 25-year lows:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/n ... n-problem/

Some of that, I think, may be due to the fact that a number of teams may have not given their starters enough time to play together in the preseason for fear or injury. It seems like a number of these teams have treated the first regular season couple games as preseason games and are still trying to get their teams together.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

This Rams-49ers game is far and away the best game I've seen all season, a high powered offensive shootout. I pity those people in the Bay Area who didn't shell out the 14 bucks for the seats for this one.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Scoring just equals 'excitement' to those inclined to be excited by points (most people, obviously). But a lot of points doesn't necessarily -or really even a majority of the time- equal quality football being played.

I would say there was moments of good football played tonight, though. Mixed in with some things (onside kick, missed XP, muffed punt, etc) that kept it interesting. Though a large percentage of the game was poorly played. It just happened that the bad football wasn't dull, for example it wasn't dropped passes leading to a series of back and forth punts. Instead the bad made and/or kept the game interesting, kept it close and so on. I'd say it was more interesting than good.

Certainly some very good individual performances, Gurley/Watkins countered by Hyde/Garcon, a lot of impressive tackles were scattered throughout the game and there was some good DL play. Matched by bad decision making from QB's (some punished, some not), inexplicable dropped passes, bad penalties, mental errors, and bad and untimely turnovers. There's also the poor tackling throughout the game that we overlook because of the plays made by Barron, Brockers and Johnson. Then of course some ridiculous officiating such as the roughing the passer (which again, kept things interesting -- as opposed to good officiating/football), pass interference, etc ...

For me Eagles-Chiefs was probably the best game this season, to date. Or at least I didn't think I was watching two bad teams play or two good teams play bad while watching it.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Worst play call I've seen in several years - about 2:20 to play in fourth quarter of Texans - Patriots game, Texans leading 30-28. Houston is facing a fourth and a half-yard at the New England 18-yard line, and New England has one time out left. What would you do? Houston went for a field goal, which made the score 33-28. New England takes the kickoff and goes right down the field and gets a TD with less than 30 seconds to play, and wins the game 36-33.

With the Pats having one time out left, Houston should have gone for it, because with a first down they could have possibly scored or gotten the field goal on the next series and have given the ball back to New England with about 1:10 on the clock and no time outs needing a TD to win, but with over two minutes to play and a time out there was too much time left on the clock for a guy like Brady to get the ball into the end zone. Which he did. It cost the Texans the game.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I can see both sides; kick the FG and go up by more than 3 or risk not getting anything and giving the ball to TB with a 2 point lead. Maybe you have to show some confidence in your offense.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

The Texans completely botched the time after the one completion with 12 seconds to play. They started to rush to the line like they were going to call a quick play. They let an extra 10 seconds run off, forcing them to try a deep Hail Mary with 2 or 3 seconds left.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I got to say it was a good day.