Herschel has found some rivals...

conace21

Re: Herschel has found some rivals...

Post by conace21 »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:25 am Brown didnt properly forcast alot of players, who were motivated to prove him wrong with other teams. Not just Jordan, Quinlan or Davis but Parilli for GB, Howton, Clarke for Dallas, Mitchell for Washington, Plum for Detroit, Dawson for KC, Marshall for Minn, Donovan, Rechichar and Shula for Baltimore, Bergey to Philly, Atkins to Chicago, Speedie to Canada and on and on!
I don't think you could lump all those players in under that description. Brown coached Mac Speedie for 7 years. Speedie was 32 when he left for more money in Canada. Billy Howton had been a Pro Bowl player in GB before coming to Cleveland. Howton notified the Browns be planned to retire, before the expansion Cowboys convinced him to come play in his home state. Brown recouped a draft choice rather than lose Howton to retirement for nothing.
Doug Atkins was allegedly traded because, in PB's words "he was obnoxious to eat with." Pat Summerall said Atkins was cut (he was actually traded) because he loudly belched in a meeting.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks conace21 ...

I didnt know that about Howton. I was under the impression Brown got rid of him due to his union player leadership which many coaches frowned upon. Maybe Howton also felt that Brown didnt get the ball to him enough. Hard to want to leave a contending team after being on terrible Packer teams. Brown must have rubbed him the wrong way?

Yes, Speedie helps him win championships and he doesnt want to pay him? Getting rid of a pass rusher because he belches? This guy was as cold to players as you can get. He could have had Chris Burford, YA Tittle and John Unitas and let them slip away.
Unitas felt he lied to him and he neglected Len Dawson for so long that Hank Stram wasnt sure if he could even develop his skills for the Texans but Dawson worked hard and became the AFLs best QB. Everyone knows how he screwed up with Cookie Gilchrist who went to Canada as well. He never won anything major without Otto Graham. He had his QB with Greg Cook in Cincy but his own team doctors failed to diagnose and treat his injuries. This guy could have been another Joe Namath. He quit coaching before Ken Anderson could win him a championship but rather than keeping continuity with Bill Walsh, he picks another coach, lets Walsh leave and Anderson regresses ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Another interesting Brown's trades while with the Bengals were WR Charlie Joiner for DE Coy Bacon, then dealing Bacon and CB Lemar Parrish to Washington two years later for their first round in 1979, who turned to be RB Charles Alexander, who is most famous for being tackled less than a yard for the touchdown by Dan Bunz two years later in the 49ers' goal stand in Super Bowl XVI.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Gary Najman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:12 pm Another interesting Brown's trades while with the Bengals were WR Charlie Joiner for DE Coy Bacon, then dealing Bacon and CB Lemar Parrish to Washington two years later for their first round in 1979, who turned to be RB Charles Alexander, who is most famous for being tackled less than a yard for the touchdown by Dan Bunz two years later in the 49ers' goal stand in Super Bowl XVI.
I'd argue Bacon had been the better player to that point. Both teams got their money's worth out of that deal, that's for sure. The second trade is a doozy though... why would you trade two elite defensive stars for a 9-5 team's 1st round pick?! Paul Brown is one of those fantasy owners who cannot leave their roster alone for one day, for better or for worse.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I always thought the NY Titans allowing Art Powell to sign with whatever team he wanted to (ended up being the Raiders where he had 4 great years) had to be one of the worst decisions involving such a high-caliber player. I know the Titans were cash-strapped but I never understood what exactly happened. Can you imagine if ESPN/sports talk radio existed back then, hooo boy!!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not only the financial problems with the Titans but Powell also protested exhibition games and mistreatment of black athletes in segregated cities. He did the same thing in Philly and Oakland. Took alot of balls for an athlete to do what he did, while trying to make a young career ...
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Has anyone mentioned the John Hadl trade yet? The Packers gave the Rams a 1, 2, and 3 in '75 and a 1 and 2 in 76. He never made the playoffs in Green Bay, to say the least.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

That is probably the most similar precedent to the Wilson trade. Hadl's dropoff seemed just as out of nowhere, too. Albeit more typical of QBs in their mid-30s in that era; I can't imagine GB thought it'd get more than 3 quality years out of him, so what possessed them to give that much?!
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:33 pm That is probably the most similar precedent to the Wilson trade. Hadl's dropoff seemed just as out of nowhere, too. Albeit more typical of QBs in their mid-30s in that era; I can't imagine GB thought it'd get more than 3 quality years out of him, so what possessed them to give that much?!
Dam Devine, then the Packer coach, traded for Hadl in a desperate attempt to save his job, or, if you prefer, to have a good season. Ironically, Devine got the Notre Dame coaching job when Ara Parseghian resigned after the 1974 season, giving Dan Devine the proverbial golden parachute.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:49 pm ...Powell also protested exhibition games and mistreatment of black athletes in segregated cities. He did the same thing in Philly and Oakland. Took alot of balls for an athlete to do what he did, while trying to make a young career ...
Remind you of anyone recently?
Last edited by JuggernautJ on Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.