XFL return?

Reaser

Re: XFL return?

Post by Reaser »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Does anyone here recall the "helmet cam" that was used in 1991 in WLAF telecasts? I regret that that didn't catch on, but it was a miniature video camera, microphone, and wireless transmitter built into the helmet of a designated player, usually a lineman. It made for some great replays, and I enjoyed watching the games on the USA Network, even the ones that involved the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks. I think that one of the drawbacks was that the player wearing the helmet cam was more likely to get injured by someone wanting screen time.
Used it in 1992, also. Including in World Bowl '92. I'm also surprised it didn't catch on or that someone hasn't been able to further develop it. It worked pretty well in the WLAF and that was over two-decades ago!

Wasn't "usually a lineman", at all. They used all positions, QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, NT, LB, CB, S, most frequently QB's and LB's, one or two players for each game. The first season not every USA Network game had helmet cam. The second season when they were just on Saturday night you knew you were going to get helmet cam.

Produced a lot of great images. It literally worked so again, weird it didn't become something more. Of course QB was usually most interesting, and LB's on the defensive side but no matter the position you were going to see good video. I remember a fumble on a PR and the helmet cam player on the punt team gave a great view of it, for one of numerous examples.

I recorded a lot of WLAF games from the original incarnation of the league (and every game from the relaunched WLAF/NFLE era) and watch them all the time since it was my favorite football league back then. Especially the 1992 season. Literally have the Ohio Glory @ Orlando Thunder game still in my VHS player from when I watched it a few weeks ago (though that game was on ABC.)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Something I thought about right after the conference championships was that NFLE hasn't been around since 2007 but will still have a former player in this years Super Bowl in James Harrison.

Also, Doug Pederson (WA HS QB Club! Also a great DB in HS) played in the WLAF in 1992 -and when it came back in 1995 with the Fire- when he was the 3rd string QB for the NY/NJ Knights. He ended up getting to play a bit when Reggie Slack got injured and backup Brent Pease also got injured. So a couple connections to WLAF/NFLE in this years Super Bowl.
single wing

Post by single wing »

Given all these phony leagues that never started this century
All American Football League
NewUSFL
Gridiron League
A11FL
MLFB
PFL

At least the XFL won't as 3 of the leagues above did -- hold a draft, have players pay for camp, and then skip town yelling wait for next year which never comes.

I do think besides the $100 million they will get a decent TV deal. Heck even the A11FL got one with ESPN. I cannot put the XFL in the same group as the 6 leagues above.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

single wing wrote:Given all these phony leagues that never started this century
NewUSFL
Gridiron League
A11FL
MLFB
PFL

At least the XFL won't as 3 of the leagues above did -- hold a draft, have players pay for camp, and then skip town yelling wait for next year which never comes.

I do think besides the $100 million they will get a decent TV deal. Heck even the A11FL got one with ESPN. I cannot put the XFL in the same group as the 6 leagues above.
Agreed, and exactly. That was my point, as well.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Is the new iteration going to have the same teams?
My neighbor Dan would be ecstatic to know his San Francisco Demons tattoo is again relevant.

Edit: I see cities and team names have yet to be selected.
So Dan's tattoo will forever be the answer to a trivia question about 2001.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Reaser wrote:
single wing wrote:Given all these phony leagues that never started this century
NewUSFL
Gridiron League
A11FL
MLFB
PFL

Agreed, and exactly. That was my point, as well.
And I agree, it's not impossible-- one of the 2000s leagues that wasn't a total failure is the forgotten United Football League of 2009-2012 -- the one with the Omaha Nighthawks and the Las Vegas Locos-- it played in the autumn, without a big TV contract, with relatively low attendance and never had more than five teams in any given year-- but it lasted for three complete seasons and part of a fourth one.
single wing

Post by single wing »

Don't believe the XFL will be like these two who keep posting the following information this January :roll: :roll: :roll:
Can you believe both of these leagues are still claiming they will start this spring ?

PFL MANAGEMENT STATEMENT
PFL- Professional Football League (PFL) was founded in October 2017 and is set to launch its inaugural season in spring 2018 joined by an elite group of highly talented and legendary head coaches. Eight U.S. cities have already been awarded first-year franchise teams. PFL inspires to be a steadfast resource for those who are interested in advancing their physical and mental game skill set necessary to continue chasing their dream of playing professional football. PFL strategies beyond the game will focus on players’ educational development, the development of game officials, league staff, management, and front office executives all with the goal of employment within the sports industries and leagues.

MANAGEMENT OF MAJOR LEAGUE FOOTBALL STATEMENT
It has come to our attention that Jerry Craig is attempting to form a Spring Professional League and some of our fans are confused as to whether this is Major League Football, Inc operating under another name. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. Mr. Craig had committed to invest millions of dollars on Major League Football in June of 2016. After months of his delay we determined he never had invested and in fact had no money to invest in Major League Football, Inc. In fact he issued checks to employees and to the Federal Court in New Jersey which were retuned NSF (Non-Sufficient Funds). His Securities Purchase Agreement with us was terminated by our attorneys based on his default. Mr. Craig has taken corporate information he received while at MLFB, as well as content from our web site and used it in his doomed attempt to form this League.

Most of the Coaches he has listed as participating in PFL have now resigned and withdrawn their names. MLFB has re-instituted negotiations with investors of substance with whom it was negotiating at the time Mr. Craig's original offer was accepted and we plan to have football in 2018. We will make further announcements when appropriate.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I expect it to fail but I will watch some of the games.

I did like some of the stuff Vince McMahon said regarding a reimagining of NFL football (he meant the NFL but did not actually say "NFL"). I don't understand why some group doesn't go all the way and really reimagine the sport. What would be wrong with making a good 7 on 7 league or maybe 8 on 8 action? It would be played outdoors on NFL fields. It would have a lot of passing and scoring like the kids like these days. The rules could be a little looser too. Maybe there could be a lot more hand fighting between defensive backs and receivers. No pass interference unless the receiver is tackled or pushed out of bounds or the jersey is being grabbed. It would make it easier for officials.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Reaser wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:Does anyone here recall the "helmet cam" that was used in 1991 in WLAF telecasts? I regret that that didn't catch on, but it was a miniature video camera, microphone, and wireless transmitter built into the helmet of a designated player, usually a lineman. It made for some great replays, and I enjoyed watching the games on the USA Network, even the ones that involved the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks. I think that one of the drawbacks was that the player wearing the helmet cam was more likely to get injured by someone wanting screen time.
Used it in 1992, also. Including in World Bowl '92. I'm also surprised it didn't catch on or that someone hasn't been able to further develop it. It worked pretty well in the WLAF and that was over two-decades ago!

Wasn't "usually a lineman", at all. They used all positions, QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, NT, LB, CB, S, most frequently QB's and LB's, one or two players for each game. The first season not every USA Network game had helmet cam. The second season when they were just on Saturday night you knew you were going to get helmet cam.

Produced a lot of great images. It literally worked so again, weird it didn't become something more. Of course QB was usually most interesting, and LB's on the defensive side but no matter the position you were going to see good video. I remember a fumble on a PR and the helmet cam player on the punt team gave a great view of it, for one of numerous examples.

I recorded a lot of WLAF games from the original incarnation of the league (and every game from the relaunched WLAF/NFLE era) and watch them all the time since it was my favorite football league back then. Especially the 1992 season. Literally have the Ohio Glory @ Orlando Thunder game still in my VHS player from when I watched it a few weeks ago (though that game was on ABC.)

There's no doubt video technology is light years ahead of when the helmet cam was used in the early 90s, so I don't think that's the issue. My guess is there is a liability problem, in terms of the slim possibility of that tiny camera becoming dislodged, and injuring either the player wearing the device, or someone else. Even though cameras have become miniaturized, having the device so close to the head and face may be problematic.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Two points - 1 - NASCAR uses helmet cams on some of their drivers and it seems to work there.

2 - Whether or not you like Vincent Kennedy McMahon, you have to admit he is a genius when it comes to running
a successful business. When he took over promoting professional wrestling from his father it wasn't much
more than a mom and pop operation with local promoters controlling limited regional territories and limited
public acceptance and not extremely lucrative. He has turned it into a billion dollar publicly owned international operation with much greater public acceptance. I think this time around he'll learn from his past mistake and create a successful league.