75th-100th: QBs

BD Sullivan

Re: 75th-100th: QBs

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:I would put in Brady and Manning and remove Unitas and Montana.

10 championship games in 10 years for Otto Graham is more remarkable than anything Unitas accomplished, IMO. I would guess that Unitas' TD streak and his big 1959 season are his greatest achievements, and as great as they were they've been rendered obsolete. I don't think any current/near future QB will be taking his team to 10 straight Super Bowls.
The problem with the first four of Graham's championships is that they came in the AAFC, which inevitably will spark the NFL/AAFC-Which league was stronger debate. Then his teams did lose three NFL title games.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Bryan wrote:I would put in Brady and Manning and remove Unitas and Montana.

10 championship games in 10 years for Otto Graham is more remarkable than anything Unitas accomplished, IMO. I would guess that Unitas' TD streak and his big 1959 season are his greatest achievements, and as great as they were they've been rendered obsolete. I don't think any current/near future QB will be taking his team to 10 straight Super Bowls.
The problem with the first four of Graham's championships is that they came in the AAFC, which inevitably will spark the NFL/AAFC-Which league was stronger debate. Then his teams did lose three NFL title games.
They won three NFL titles, too. That's what happens when you play in so many title games. Win some, lose some. IMO, there is merit to Graham's 4 AAFC titles as I think the AAFC was at the very least comparable to the NFL from 1946-1949.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

conace21 wrote:I don't mean to denigrate Otto's accomplishment. He and the Browns did go 10 for 10 in division titles.
Not sure how many playoff runs guys like Baugh and Unitas had, either. Unitas essentially won the same 'division titles' (even though divisions did not exist at this time) in 1958-1959 as Graham did in 1946-50, 1954-55. Also, it would have been difficult for Graham to have made 10 straight Super Bowl runs when he played prior to the Super Bowl's existence.

If the same postseason format of one postseason representative per conference existed for other HOF QBs, then those QBs wouldn't have won nearly as many titles as they did.

I guess my point is that I think its a remarkable and unique accomplishment for Graham to have played pro football from 1946-1955, and every year his team was in the league title game. JMO