DuMont Network NFL Broadcast Question(s)

BD Sullivan

Re: DuMont Network NFL Broadcast Question(s)

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:For books and photos, I have always understood the statute of limitations to be 75 years (Mark may correct me on this). For moving pics or sound recordings, I don't know.
At the PFRA event in Cleveland two years ago there was the Uncle Danny guy selling the audio CD's of the Browns radio call of the 1964 NFL Championship Game. I bought one because it was going to a police charity, but apparently he bought abandoned storage units at auction and won a unit that had the official radio broadcast of the game in it. I didn't ask about the legalities of it because it was for charity.
That 1964 game was actually a recreation made in 1982 during the strike:

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/glo ... id=3076296
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

NFL Films doesn't sell anything not in the SP catalogue. One reason is that some of those old films are really short, have damage, or are incomplete. They'd be endlessly dealing with complaints. ("I paid $50 for this?!") Plus, they'd have to be constantly checking the database to see if what was requested actually existed. BTW, it just so happens that I bought some film of Dutch Clark a few years back. It was 1937 8mm color film shot in Chicago vs the Bears. A fan took his camera to the game and got a pre game closeup of Halas...in shadows. I paid a small fortune & unfortunately much of the action is pretty far away and Dutch is only seen briefly. I'm fairly certain I'm in the clear should I decide to sell copies. (I won't)
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks everyone. JohnR, this:"I paid $50 for this?!" made me laugh - good point. On a side note, you've probably seen it, but the long Dutch Clark TD run from the 35 championship game is available from a few sources - pm me if you need me to dig up a link.

Finally, sorry if I hijacked/went in a different direction with this thread - I just got excited when I saw "Tel Ra" - I'd never heard of them before buying those highlight DVDs recently, so I figured i would chime in. -John
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

There's been so much hijacking here it is a wonder we are not all in Cuba. But, your prez has sucked up to the commie so much that it might be safe for an hour-or-so.

Meanwhile, to return to the illegalities of "pirated" stuff.

Our Treasurer, John Grasso, represents a firm that provides a pretty good explanation of the copyright restrictions and the compliance mandates as well as the suggested means of securing a release.
Likely, with some courteous and gentle persuasion, you could get him to post an abbreviated version of that document if he is able to do so.

What did Lt. Col. Jessup say? Ask nicely?

It is surprising that the so-called editorial staff of our esteemed newsletter has not already offered that advice to the membership? But then, the publication would probably be ten weeks late instead of just seven or eight.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister