Ed Sabol has passed

Veeshik_ya

Re: Ed Sabol has passed

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Remember the Monday Night Football halftime highlights Howard Cosell used to narrate? That was back in the day when clips of your favorite teams' game from Sunday weren't widely available. For those whose favorite teams weren't local, the MNF halftime highlights were often the only way to see visual proof of what happened yesterday.

Question I have is...was that footage from NFL Films? Assume it was; seem to remember the clips had all the familiar NFL Films characteristics, slow motion, ball spinning through the air, film vs. video, etc.

Or was it network created, with Cosell's voiceover?

(Even though it seems quaint now, I miss it. Better that than Al Michaels yammering on about league politics)
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Veeshik_ya » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am
"...(Even though it seems quaint now, I miss it. Better that than Al Michaels yammering on about league politics)"

Quaint? Quaint? The Roone Arledge selection of Howard Cosell was the best thing to happen in Sports broadcasting
since Sonja Henie and Esther Williams. The only thing that might come close was "I am the greatest."
And, there has been nothing to compare since... well, maybe the 1980 Miracle on Ice.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Veeshik_ya » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am
"...(Even though it seems quaint now, I miss it. Better that than Al Michaels yammering on about league politics)"

Quaint? Quaint? The Roone Arledge selection of Howard Cosell was the best thing to happen in Sports broadcasting
since Sonja Henie and Esther Williams. The only thing that might come close was "I am the greatest."
And, there has been nothing to compare since... well, maybe the 1980 Miracle on Ice.
Settle down, OCC. Key word there was "seems".
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Veeshik_ya wrote: Question I have is...was that footage from NFL Films? Assume it was; seem to remember the clips had all the familiar NFL Films characteristics, slow motion, ball spinning through the air, film vs. video, etc.

Or was it network created, with Cosell's voiceover?
The halftime highlights were 100% NFL Films footage. You could tell by the style, as you mentioned, and Howard even stated that they were provided by NFL Films when introducing them every game.