Where can I find...

TanksAndSpartans

Re: Where can I find...

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I had some of the same questions for John a while back. He said Willey likely had 8 in that game, according to Paul Zimmerman who was there. The Eagles has 12 and Zimmerman says 8. I specifically asked about Len Ford and John mentioned he had a few monster years and some ordinary ones.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I had some of the same questions for John a while back. He said Willey likely had 8 in that game, according to Paul Zimmerman who was there. The Eagles has 12 and Zimmerman says 8. I specifically asked about Len Ford and John mentioned he had a few monster years and some ordinary ones.
What would a monster sack season have looked like back then? Similar to now, around 20? It seems like sacks came easier, but of course there were less games. Could we finally dethrone Strahan and his buddy Brett Favre if we dug hard enough?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisLoseston wrote:Unofficial but credible tackle numbers for pre-90s linebackers? I've seen some ridiculous figures cited for players like Tommy Nobis and Gradishar, and they seem mythical and impossible to me (seriously, 21 tackles per game for Nobis as a rookie?!), but they're often cited in HOF cases for these players. So I definitely want to know the truth about them. Strangely, MLBs that are in the hall already seem to have much more "normal" reported numbers... wonder if there's any connection there. Another player I wonder about is Lawrence Taylor; his recorded stats don't pop off the page so, as with Reggie White, I have a feeling his true greatness is hiding in his tackles. Like White, he was known for being as good against the run as the pass rush, and White's tackles are indeed quite something at times (1988...). So where can I find this data?
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... pport.html

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... r-for.html
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:Unofficial but credible tackle numbers for pre-90s linebackers? I've seen some ridiculous figures cited for players like Tommy Nobis and Gradishar, and they seem mythical and impossible to me (seriously, 21 tackles per game for Nobis as a rookie?!), but they're often cited in HOF cases for these players. So I definitely want to know the truth about them. Strangely, MLBs that are in the hall already seem to have much more "normal" reported numbers... wonder if there's any connection there. Another player I wonder about is Lawrence Taylor; his recorded stats don't pop off the page so, as with Reggie White, I have a feeling his true greatness is hiding in his tackles. Like White, he was known for being as good against the run as the pass rush, and White's tackles are indeed quite something at times (1988...). So where can I find this data?

Rich McKay actually said that one of the things that worked against Tommy Nobis was that he played in a baseball stadium!?! Back in the 70's, probably half the NFL players played in multi-purpose stadiums.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:

Wow thanks John, that is incredibly useful. It seems what I was looking for has indeed already been done for the most part. Saves me the effort! Those are indeed much more normal and credible numbers than what I've seen around, basically in line with modern guys. Are those stats you compiled yourself? I love how many players I was wondering about are mentioned in those articles; it appears Ray Lewis is the true tackle king by a lot bigger margin than he gets credit for! And in light of these corrections, is it possible Darius Leonard may have had the best season ever by a MLB last year?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisLoseston wrote: is it possible Darius Leonard may have had the best season ever by a MLB last year?
All except he's not really their MLB. Anthony Walker was the MLB in base.

Then, in nickel was one of the 2 ILBers----. He's certainly an off-the-ball LBer who in a defense that was in sub defenses more than base, so in that sense he's an ILber, but not sure you can call him a MLBer.

I think there are likely a lot of seasons better than his as a rookie (I am guessing that is what you meant). But as a rookie LBer, sure, he's in the conversation
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote: is it possible Darius Leonard may have had the best season ever by a MLB last year?
All except he's not really their MLB. Anthony Walker was the MLB in base.

Then, in nickel was one of the 2 ILBers----. He's certainly an off-the-ball LBer who in a defense that was in sub defenses more than base, so in that sense he's an ILber, but not sure you can call him a MLBer.

I think there are likely a lot of seasons better than his as a rookie (I am guessing that is what you meant). But as a rookie LBer, sure, he's in the conversation
Yeah, by MLB I kinda meant a catch-all for a non-down linebacker whose primary contribution is huge tackle numbers. As a still deeply attached Leonard owner last year (probably my best waiver wire move ever), I did some counting and found out that Leonard is the highest point scoring LB of any kind in at least the past 25 years, since tackles and forced fumbles have been well-kept stats. AND he missed a game. I didn't have the Gradishar and other stats from before 1994 or so back then, though; his 1978 definitely looks competitive with Leonard. What is your personal pick for the most dominant inside LB season of all time? Do you have Butkus stats?
JWL

Post by JWL »

JohnTurney wrote: He's certainly an off-the-ball LBer

He runs away from ball carriers?