GOAT quarterback DESPITE coach?

74_75_78_79_

Re: GOAT quarterback DESPITE coach?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I was going to make some comment about Jeff George, but I can't really even figure out what to say about him. Possibly could have done better in a different system, with different motivations coming from the coach, etc., but the more I think about it, probably not.
George did well in 1999 in Minnesota, but they already messed up and took Culpepper over Jevon Kearse. I wonder how George would have done if he could have stayed there a few more years playing with Moss and Carter.

Also, what if George was in Washington in 02 playing in Spurrier's Fun and Gun instead of 2001 playing under Schottenheimer's WCO?
George's name was mentioned as a possible candidate as recent as 2010 to fill in for Big Ben while serving that season-opening four-game suspension. But I believe there was also talk of it during the Cowher Era; early-'00s, I believe. It seems that George's big issue his whole career, which prevented him from ever reaching his potential, was his attitude (best example, his sideline blow-up at June Jones). I think Cowher may have been the type of coach to bring out the best in him (wouldn't take his crap). Parcells especially. He's definitely the player who Tuna would have liked to work with (to be the one to 'change' him); surprised he never tried acquiring him while he was in Dallas.

How about...Jim McMahon? Nothing against Ditka, but those Bears’ offenses were known for being quite “vanilla”. SD for him was no better and then he plays for Philly under...Kotite.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Peyton Manning had to deal with Jim Mora for 4 seasons. Mora was .500 in Indy.

Eli Manning is a pretty good QB and Tom Coughlin was not the greatest coach. .531 winning percentage in NY.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I was going to make some comment about Jeff George, but I can't really even figure out what to say about him. Possibly could have done better in a different system, with different motivations coming from the coach, etc., but the more I think about it, probably not.
George did well in 1999 in Minnesota, but they already messed up and took Culpepper over Jevon Kearse. I wonder how George would have done if he could have stayed there a few more years playing with Moss and Carter.

Also, what if George was in Washington in 02 playing in Spurrier's Fun and Gun instead of 2001 playing under Schottenheimer's WCO?
I was grief stricken when the Vikings let George walk after an excellent 1999 season. He seemed to love being in Minnesota and having Carter and Moss to catch his darts. I couldn’t for the life of me understand the decision to go with an unproven second year guy even if he was a highly regarded first round pock. Culpepper worked out just fine, though, until his knee injury in 2005. I don’t consider it messed up taking him over Kearse.