1980: Bears at Steelers, Week #4

74_75_78_79_

Steelers/Bears history in-general

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Some clown must have high-jacked Gary Dunn’s wiki page. You got to read it to believe it!
I've seen stuff like this before and it makes me laugh and cry at the same time. :lol: :( Wikipedia usually is a "self-correcting" interactive community so it'll probably get returned to normal at some point. Heck, Matt, you could do it. :)

According to the current state of his wikipedia page, he was born 4 years after his rookie year!
Yes, despite me being no ‘expert’ on Dunn, I should/could correct things on wiki!

As for this very topic, I should probably change the name to ‘Steelers/Bears history’. More rich history between these two franchises than one would think. The next game after ’86, three years later, had enough a significance. A turning-point for each team’s season. Bears win at the ’Burgh to get them further above-500 at 6-4, but lose-out rest of way to tragic 6-10 finish! Steelers (third shutout now suffered) drop further on down to 4-6, only to...well, you know!

Next meeting between the two is another significant one! Ditka, Singletary, and Fridge’s final stand at Soldier in a 30-6 win over top-seed-bound Steelers. Cowher’s first year at helm. The next one - in ’95 - O’Donnell’s comeback at Soldier, sparking a streak that’ll eventually lead the ’Burgh back to the Bowl for the first time in 16 years!

Can also discuss the 1st-Rd draft-pick ‘sweepstakes’ between the two in ’69 along with the two almost playing for the NFLC in ’63!

’84 Steelers vs ’84 Bears another worthy-enough convo.

Back to ’86, interesting halftime show (score 3-3) with Costas & Rashad. Both discuss, basically, how it’s fine and dandy for defending-Champs to be 10-pt faves, but what good is it if Bears’ O have been struggling as of late? Fencik’s quotes showed throughout game fully supporting McMahon for QB. Very nice interview with Max McGee and the ‘Hammer’, both together, in regards to upcoming 20th anniversary of SBI. I didn’t know Williamson started his pro career with the Steelers (in 1960).

Lupe Sanchez! Watching him in this ’86 game makes you wonder what could have been!
Jay Z

Re: 1980: Bears at Steelers, Week #4

Post by Jay Z »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Some clown must have high-jacked Gary Dunn’s wiki page. You got to read it to believe it!
I've seen stuff like this before and it makes me laugh and cry at the same time. :lol: :( Wikipedia usually is a "self-correcting" interactive community so it'll probably get returned to normal at some point. Heck, Matt, you could do it. :)

According to the current state of his wikipedia page, he was born 4 years after his rookie year!
I fixed it. Who has the time to deface Gary Dunn's page?!?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Nice job, Jay! A whole lot better!
nicefellow31

Re: Steelers/Bears history in-general

Post by nicefellow31 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:

Yes, despite me being no ‘expert’ on Dunn, I should/could correct things on wiki!

As for this very topic, I should probably change the name to ‘Steelers/Bears history’. More rich history between these two franchises than one would think. The next game after ’86, three years later, had enough a significance. A turning-point for each team’s season. Bears win at the ’Burgh to get them further above-500 at 6-4, but lose-out rest of way to tragic 6-10 finish! Steelers (third shutout now suffered) drop further on down to 4-6, only to...well, you know!

Next meeting between the two is another significant one! Ditka, Singletary, and Fridge’s final stand at Soldier in a 30-6 win over top-seed-bound Steelers. Cowher’s first year at helm. The next one - in ’95 - O’Donnell’s comeback at Soldier, sparking a streak that’ll eventually lead the ’Burgh back to the Bowl for the first time in 16 years!

Can also discuss the 1st-Rd draft-pick ‘sweepstakes’ between the two in ’69 along with the two almost playing for the NFLC in ’63!

’84 Steelers vs ’84 Bears another worthy-enough convo.

Back to ’86, interesting halftime show (score 3-3) with Costas & Rashad. Both discuss, basically, how it’s fine and dandy for defending-Champs to be 10-pt faves, but what good is it if Bears’ O have been struggling as of late? Fencik’s quotes showed throughout game fully supporting McMahon for QB. Very nice interview with Max McGee and the ‘Hammer’, both together, in regards to upcoming 20th anniversary of SBI. I didn’t know Williamson started his pro career with the Steelers (in 1960).

Lupe Sanchez! Watching him in this ’86 game makes you wonder what could have been!
Lupe Sanchez indeed. I recall watching him and Don Rogers have big games in the Rose Bowl against Michigan and Illinois.
Last edited by nicefellow31 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Real good interview with Lupe Sanchez here...https://pittsburghsportsdailybulletin.w ... 1986-1988/

And a nice anecdote about the very '86 game at Chicago to boot! To experience playing on any NFL team for any limited amount of time would have to be something to feel very grateful about; and the same would go for the nadir of the Noll Era ('86-'88). To get to meet some of those from the '70s who were now on their way out along with those who just hopped onboard who would star in the Cowher Era...Tony Dungy mentoring you, etc. Still, if only he could have at least experienced just one more year in the 'Burgh!

Oh, and by the way, he also played for George Allen in the USFL!