Roy Jefferson questions

L.C. Greenwood

Re: Roy Jefferson questions

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JuggernautJ wrote:
RRMarshall wrote:...Looking back it is amazing how much animosity there was by teams to player reps during the era, especially in baseball where a very high percentage of them were traded. His career just seemed to tail off after that, I assume because of injuries.
Spoken like someone who has never been involved in a contract negotiation... or been a teacher in West Virginia (or Kentucky or Oklahoma...). They can get... heated.

Context and timing is also important to consider regarding how an individual is perceived/remembered.
An "uppity" union rep from the 60's-70's might today be seen as a black man standing up for his rights and those of his fellows.
Those days were "another era" in more than just football history...

(So, yes. I am saying that part of the way Roy Jefferson (and John Mackey, et al) were perceived might've been related to the way in which race was viewed in that time.)

I think we're talking about two different issues, I don't think race, or Jefferson's involvement in the player's union were any factor in his trade from the Steelers to Baltimore. When a player has a great individual season statistically for a 1-13 football team, and doesn't buy into the vision by the first year head coach, that's a problem. We've seen this scenario play out many times in the NFL, a veteran player unhappy with a new head coach in a rebuilding situation. The Steelers simply could not have that type of negativity with the young talent coming on board. Jefferson was a good player who wanted to do things his own way, and that type of player isn't conducive to championship winning football. When there's a conflict between the head coach, and an unhappy player, said player will likely depart.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

>Jefferson was a good player who wanted to do things his own way, and that type of player isn't conducive to championship winning football.

Um, you type this without any sense of irony? Jefferson was wearing a Super Bowl ring one year later.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JohnR wrote:>Jefferson was a good player who wanted to do things his own way, and that type of player isn't conducive to championship winning football.

Um, you type this without any sense of irony? Jefferson was wearing a Super Bowl ring one year later.

And the Colts unloaded Jefferson to the Redskins after that one season.