2017 NFL Season Discussion

JWL

Re: 2017 NFL Season Discussion

Post by JWL »

I don't see any AFC teams having the character, smarts, or talent to defeat the Patriots.

In the NFC, I don't see the Giants having the offense to get to the Super Bowl. Dallas will regress a bit and I think if they make the playoffs they will lose somewhere on the road.

As for the NFC, I can see scenarios where the Packers, Buccaneers, Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, and Cardinals could get to the Super Bowl, but there is no possibility of all six of those particular teams making the playoffs. I think the NFC East winner might be 9-7 and there will be some 10-6 team that does not make the playoffs.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Rupert Patrick wrote:3 - How will the Browns do? They went 3-13 in 2015 and 1-15 in 2016, for a combined winning percentage of .2500 over both seasons.
Just to nitpick, that two-year record (4-28) translates to a percentage of .125, not .250.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Bob Gill wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:3 - How will the Browns do? They went 3-13 in 2015 and 1-15 in 2016, for a combined winning percentage of .2500 over both seasons.
Just to nitpick, that two-year record (4-28) translates to a percentage of .125, not .250.
No, I added the .1875 and .0625 winning percentages over the two seasons to get a sum of .2500, but it's also a combined .1250. I believe it's the same difference.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnBowen

Post by JohnBowen »

Not getting scientific but here are a few of my thoughts:
*I believe Falcons are built to maintain quality play better than much of their history. Not saying Super Bowl, but should contend barring Ryan suffering an injury
*Hard to bet against Patriots, isnt't it?
*Not counting on Giants to go deep
*I look for Raiders to fall closer to .500
*NFC South may just well be toughest division from top to bottom
*Do Browns escape AFC North cellar?......prob not
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

A few things on cut day:

1 - The Browns have cut Brock Osweiller and apparently the Broncos are interested in bringing him back. Go figure.

2 - The Chargers have cut kicker Josh Lambo and have given the kicking job to rookie Younghoe Koo, the first South Korean kicker in NFL history. Here is a clip of Koo kicking a ball thru the goalposts in a way I've never seen before:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... artist-koo

3 - The Falcons cut kicker Mike Meyer, who is apparently not related to the Mike-Mayer kicking brothers of the 1970's. According to the Wikipedia, his middle name is Lee, but I was hoping it was either Nick or Steve.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
2 - The Chargers have cut kicker Josh Lambo and have given the kicking job to rookie Younghoe Koo, the first South Korean kicker in NFL history. Here is a clip of Koo kicking a ball thru the goalposts in a way I've never seen before:

Didn't John Lee, who played with the 1986 Cardinals and was drafted in the 2nd round after a stellar career at UCLA, was the first South Korean kicker in NFL history?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Teo wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:

Didn't John Lee, who played with the 1986 Cardinals and was drafted in the 2nd round after a stellar career at UCLA, was the first South Korean kicker in NFL history?
I forgot about John Lee. I wonder if Koo will practice drop kicking. I've always been a believer in bringing back the drop kick, if you can execute the maneuver properly, especially in conditions where the other team is trying to block the kick, because it will put an additional blocker on the line to prevent the block.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Rupert Patrick wrote:A few things on cut day:

1 - The Browns have cut Brock Osweiller and apparently the Broncos are interested in bringing him back. Go figure.

3 - The Falcons cut kicker Mike Meyer, who is apparently not related to the Mike-Mayer kicking brothers of the 1970's. According to the Wikipedia, his middle name is Lee, but I was hoping it was either Nick or Steve.
And the Broncos do in fact bring back Osweiler. Something about him just reminds me of a right handed Scott Mitchell

Denver I feel may be around 7-9 this year. I think they are disappointing in Lynch and losing faith in him, but keeping it quiet. Siemian is not the guy and neither is Osweiler. I Siemian to me is basically Kyle Orton.

Look for them to aggressively try to trade up in the 2018 draft to nab a QB.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Here goes...

Patriots 14-2
Dolphins 6-10
Bills 4-12
Jets 2-14

Steelers 11-5
Bengals 8-8
Ravens 7-9
Browns 5-11

Texans 10-6... Watson will be in the running for OROY
Titans 9-7
Colts 7-9
Jaguars 6-10

Chiefs 11-5
Raiders 9-7
Broncos 9-7
Chargers 4-12

Giants 9-7
Cowboys 9-7
Redskins 9-7
Eagles 8-8

Packers 11-5
Vikings 10-6... Dalvin Cook will be in the running for OROY
Lions 9-7
Bears 2-14

Falcons 13-3
Buccaneers 10-6
Panthers 8-8
Saints 6-10

Seahawks 12-4
Cardinals 9-7
Rams 5-11
49ers 4-12

AFC playoffs...
Chiefs over Raiders
Titans over Texans

Patriots over Titans
Steelers over Chiefs

Patriots over Steelers

NFC playoffs...
Packers over Buccaneers
Giants over Vikings

Falcons over Giants
Seahawks over Packers

Falcons over Seahawks

Super Bowl LII...
Falcons over Patriots
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'm sure I'm going end up doing my own standings/playoffs/SB prediction before Thursday's Kickoff anyway - only to likely be off by season's end, lol (hard to resist). Know what? After further review and due to some of your inspirations, I may just have to hold back a bit with NYJ. Bowles a heck of a coach IMO. Maybe not pick them last, but I shouldn't be quick to downplay Mia simply due to Tannehill being out. Too easy to do and Adam Gase...pretty promising coach himself! Could have some tricks (Cutler emerging or not) up his sleeve in 2017.

I also feel that I've overlooked Titans as well. Shouldn't call Texans an auto-shoe-in to win AFC South again. Funny, but maybe Oss returning to Denver is what Dr should order. Don't know. If I were him, I would have never taken "offense" to re-starting...Peyton Manning en route to their SB-victory albeit he (very suddenly) being past-prime. Broncos, led by #7, have a solid organization. Oss may have taken the batton quite well (playoffs, at least?) had he stayed last year. Yes, true QB-guru Kubiac no longer present, but with McCoy and Musgrave present on staff...yeah, returning to Denver is his (and, at least for now, the team's) best bet. Yes, give him competition (light fire under him), but bring him back. Oss's fill-in work in that SB-run, especially beating Brady, shouldn't be quickly ignored.

Many highly regarding Falcons going into '17! In a pre-season Power Rankings poll, they may be many's #1. But, again, it's a matter of talent/coaching vs psychology! Mind-over-matter of matter-over-mind? Such a tough psych hurdle Atl will have to overcome! They win-it-all this year? Could be bittersweet! Attitude may be..."damn, this could've been 'back-to-back' instead". They had the Legendary Belichick/Brady in the palm of their hands! Cant underestimate psychology. We'll see where I place them.

Dallas finishing last (even with 8 - or even...NINE wins)?...not laughing off such a possibility.