Who Will Be the Hall of Fame Contributer Nominees?

TodMaher

Re: Who Will Be the Hall of Fame Contributer Nominees?

Post by TodMaher »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Bryan wrote:I agree with the article in that a Joe Thomas debate would be interesting...lots of good things, some bad things, some weird things. If I were to write a football bio, I would choose Thomas (or Norm Van Brocklin) as the subject...just a very intriguing person in NFL history.
Thomas is like the football version of baseball exec Hank Peters. Peters helped build the powerhouse A's teams of the early 70's, ran the minor leagues, took over the Orioles and got them to two WS (winning in '83), then laying the groundwork to help Cleveland come out of a 30+-year sleep to become a powerhouse in the late 1990's. Of course, his ego was much more in check than Thomas' and he didn't go out of his way to alienate seemingly everyone. Peters has never been seriously mentioned as a HOF candidate and given Thomas' personality flaws, those two factors will likely keep him off any PFHOF ballot.
And don't forget the "wonderful" job he did in San Francisco - well, I guess he did pave the way for Bill Walsh.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

TodMaher wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:
Bryan wrote:I agree with the article in that a Joe Thomas debate would be interesting...lots of good things, some bad things, some weird things. If I were to write a football bio, I would choose Thomas (or Norm Van Brocklin) as the subject...just a very intriguing person in NFL history.
Thomas is like the football version of baseball exec Hank Peters. Peters helped build the powerhouse A's teams of the early 70's, ran the minor leagues, took over the Orioles and got them to two WS (winning in '83), then laying the groundwork to help Cleveland come out of a 30+-year sleep to become a powerhouse in the late 1990's. Of course, his ego was much more in check than Thomas' and he didn't go out of his way to alienate seemingly everyone. Peters has never been seriously mentioned as a HOF candidate and given Thomas' personality flaws, those two factors will likely keep him off any PFHOF ballot.
And don't forget the "wonderful" job he did in San Francisco - well, I guess he did pave the way for Bill Walsh.
The fact that a (basically) historical society would even consider (which thankfully they haven't) recognizing someone who destroyed historical records seems preposterous... outrageous, even.
I'd be outraged at any rate.

I'd rather they put a bust of Art Modell between Paul Brown and Otto Graham....
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

according to peter king the contributor meeting is tuesday
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:according to peter king the contributor meeting is tuesday
I think you are right. The senior meeting is today