Thoughts on Brett Favre

SixtiesFan

Re: Thoughts on Brett Favre

Post by SixtiesFan »

And not to forget, for reasons not related to his football career, OJ Simpson.[/quote]

Yep, and he's been in the news or on TV for close to a half-century. By 2115, somebody will likely put him near the top of the list of most notorious athletes.[/quote]

By 1994, O.J. Simpson was fading as a celebrity. NBC had cut his salary and his role was not large. Hertz hadn't used Simpson in a TV ad for a long time. His role with Hertz was playing golf with corporate clients. Simpson's acting career was drying up, but he did have a fairly good role (a TV movie that was shelved permanently) just before the murders.

Without the double murders, would Simpson be thought about much today? BTW, I'm a trial junkie and followed the Simpson Imbroglio closely.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

SixtiesFan wrote:And not to forget, for reasons not related to his football career, OJ Simpson.
Yep, and he's been in the news or on TV for close to a half-century. By 2115, somebody will likely put him near the top of the list of most notorious athletes.[/quote]

By 1994, O.J. Simpson was fading as a celebrity. NBC had cut his salary and his role was not large. Hertz hadn't used Simpson in a TV ad for a long time. His role with Hertz was playing golf with corporate clients. Simpson's acting career was drying up, but he did have a fairly good role (a TV movie that was shelved permanently) just before the murders.

Without the double murders, would Simpson be thought about much today? BTW, I'm a trial junkie and followed the Simpson Imbroglio closely.[/quote]

It was impossible not to follow the Simpson trial, it was the biggest news story of the 1990's. There were so many angles to the case and everybody had their own theories. I too followed the trial closely because I knew it would be the one opportunity I would have to follow a murder trial in such minute detail without actually being a party in it.

Many pop culture and TV historians believe that reality TV began on June 17, 1994 with the OJ low speed chase. I remember the people standing on the overpasses waving at him and holding signs as Al Cowlings drove by in the white Bronco. By the time the trial was over 16 months later, I felt like I knew all his friends and hangers on and everybody involved in the trial because I had read and heard so much about them and saw them so much on virtually every TV channel, and I think a lot of people felt like it wasn't a real actual trial but more like a scripted TV show and that the real people were actually characters written to entertain us. And when the court was in recess, there were analysts on TV dissecting everything that happened that day in court. When it was over, it was like getting to the end of a 5,000 page novel and putting it down. The people who produced TV shows surely took notice of the way people got addicted to following the private lives of people, and now, network and cable TV is littered with one reality show after another.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

If I had one game to win, would I choose Brett Favre as my quarterback? No I wouldn't. Rightly or wrongly, that's how I judge QBs.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

MatthewToy wrote:If I had one game to win, would I choose Brett Favre as my quarterback? No I wouldn't. Rightly or wrongly, that's how I judge QBs.
That's a valid subjective barometer for rating QB's, I think. By that line of thinking, I would take Eli Manning over Peyton Manning, as I've always felt the ideal QB would be Peyton Manning for the first 57 minutes of the game and Eli Manning for the final three minutes of the game. By that rationale, the four greatest QB's of all time would probably be Graham, Bradshaw, Montana and Brady.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:If I had one game to win, would I choose Brett Favre as my quarterback? No I wouldn't. Rightly or wrongly, that's how I judge QBs.
That's a valid subjective barometer for rating QB's, I think. By that line of thinking, I would take Eli Manning over Peyton Manning, as I've always felt the ideal QB would be Peyton Manning for the first 57 minutes of the game and Eli Manning for the final three minutes of the game. By that rationale, the four greatest QB's of all time would probably be Graham, Bradshaw, Montana and Brady.
I would chose Roger Staubach in that scenario, and my second choice would've been Ken Stabler in his prime.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Teo wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
I would chose Roger Staubach in that scenario, and my second choice would've been Ken Stabler in his prime.
Yes, the Ken Stabler of 1976 wouldn't be a bad choice for one game you had to win.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Packer beat writer Pete Dougherty thinks Favre has an interesting perspective on Favre:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports ... /30370383/
mwald

Post by mwald »

Scenario: On the road, need a touchdown, minute and a half left, no timeouts, pass rush is effective.

Probably take Joe Montana.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

mwald wrote:
Scenario: On the road, need a touchdown, minute and a half left, no timeouts, pass rush is effective.

Probably take Joe Montana.
Take the above scenario: add roughing the passes rules from the 1950's...and I'll take Johnny U.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Does the QB have to call his own plays?

Then definitely Unitas.
If not, definitely Montana.

There are very few things in my life I can be so definite about. :)