More footage of NBC's telecast of Super Bowl V surfaces?

Bryan

Re: More footage of NBC's telecast of Super Bowl V surfaces?

Post by Bryan »

Rupert Patrick wrote: I think Super Bowl V was a hard-hitting game, with it's share of fluky plays, such as the tipped TD pass to Mackey and the ball rolling out the back of the end zone. I have written a couple thousand words on it in my manuscript, where among the most interesting games of 1970 I have it only behind the Week 1 Jets vs. Browns MNF debut. I too would love to see Super Bowl V in it's entirety, and I do have the radio broadcast of the game which helped me fill in the blanks of the missing video.
Super Bowl V IS an interesting game, I think in part because of how close the final score was and how so many weird/bad things happened during the game which could have altered the outcome. Both teams had dead-arm QBs, and Morton and Unitas were pretty terrible in the Super Bowl. In their defense, the pass protection was non-existent for much of the game, but at least Unitas had the good sense to exit the game. Earl Morrall was the only player on either team who could do anything offensively. Morrall entered the game near the end of the first half, and of his 7 possessions only 1 didn't end in Dallas territory (Colts started with the ball on their own 5). It seemed like Dallas' best plays were short swing passes to their RBs against Baltimore's stacked LBs, yet even these plays were adventures with Morton's scattershot accuracy. Landry has been criticized of having Morton pass on 2nd-and-35 late in the game instead of playing it safe, but some of McCafferty's decisions were equally bizarre. Both of Howley's interceptions were seemingly on identical play calls from Baltimore, with the Colts trying to isolate Bulaich on Howley on a corner route.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Seeing Dallas in that rare-form of theirs in those blue jerseys (the best blue jerseys they ever had; I believe the same style worn 10 years later at the Vet in the '80 NFCC).
Those blue jerseys had supposedly become such bad luck to the Cowboys, or the notion had at least gotten into their head enough, that they changed them to a darker blue by the start of the '81 season. The fact that Dick Vermeil had specifically chosen to wear white at home, forcing the Boys to wear the blue jerseys, and then won was presumably the last straw for Tex Schramm. Vermeil's move was roundly criticized by Randy White, who likened it to a high school gimmick.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

I always liked the look of Dallas' blue jerseys and that's one reason why I like Super Bowl V. Earl Morrall's redemption is another. Those blue jerseys looked so nice with the Florida sun shining on them most of the game.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'd really like to see the '62 AFL Title Game, especially if it's in (real) color; but b&w would be just fine.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I'd really like to see the '62 AFL Title Game, especially if it's in (real) color; but b&w would be just fine.
I've been told this game does exist, with only a couple small gaps in the action. It is a black and white kinescope of the game, and there was a clip of it on the Full Color Football documentary, with Jack Buck going out to midfield with a camera to record the OT coin toss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSBHJpHsRY
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

That's from the Showtime miniseries Full Color Football. I'd love to get my hands on a DVD copy of that someday.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:So what ARE the only Super Bowls in which the entire telecast is not available? I can't believe that the networks wouldn't consider saving the entire telecast as early as SBI. Allowing something like the first 6 seasons of 'All My Children' to be 'wiped'...a bit more understandable (no offense to any soap opera fans). Being that it was at the time considered a bit of an anti-climatic event (not even called 'the Super Bowl' yet; the 'real' championship game being the NFL Championship), there had to have been someone or some people in the network brass to predict that even 'The First World Championship Game - AFL vs NFL' had to have some importance in the future.
The TV broadcasts of Super Bowls I and II and V are not available in their entirety, although most of V and at least half of I exists. The first two Super Bowls have been reconstructed by means of merging game film along with the radio broadcasts of the games; somebody obviously spent a lot of time putting them together and they are nicely done.
I'd really like to see SBV in its entirety. Some of you, and I think you too Rupert, said that V was actually not an 'ugly' game after all but more-so a hard-hitting game which is why all those turnovers took place in the first place. Multiple lead-changes in that one; it was the first competitive SB. Seeing Dallas in that rare-form of theirs in those blue jerseys (the best blue jerseys they ever had; I believe the same style worn 10 years later at the Vet in the '80 NFCC). As for aesthetics, and while we're on the subject of early SBs, wasn't it Steve Sabol that raved about the 'look' of SBII? Angle of the sun, palm trees in the distance, the color contrast of Green Bay & Oakland's unis, etc (perhaps Raiders in menacing black giving an illusion that they actually were the more 'superior' team to 'even' things).
The Super Bowl game that Sabol raves about from a filming standpoint was the Raiders vs Vikings which would have been Super Bowl XI, the setting sun etc. He may have raved about Super Bowl II but I just recently watched an NFL Films episode where Sabol was talking about how perfect the lighting was for SB XI and he wishes the NFL would do more afternoon SB kick offs as IIRC SB XI was the last SB to kick off and be played entirely during the day.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

In response to an earlier post on this thread, I believe the reason the man who offered the NFL part of CBS' telecast of Super Bowl I can't just sell it or auction it off is because the NFL claims it has a copyright on the telecast. That may be so, but I still think the NFL should have offered more than $30,000 for the videotape. I think $100,000 would have been a fair offer, especially since the NFL itself didn't keep a copy of the broadcast.

I'm hoping that with Super Bowl 50 less than a year away, there'll be some resolution on this matter before that game is played. If not then, maybe prior to the 50th anniversary of the first Super Bowl, Jan. 15, 2017.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

Getting back to Super Bowl V, does anyone here know the source of this recently uncovered footage? Was it kept under wraps all this time by NBC or, as with Super Bowl I, was it some individual who had the foresight to preserve much of the game?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

NFL500 wrote:Getting back to Super Bowl V, does anyone here know the source of this recently uncovered footage? Was it kept under wraps all this time by NBC or, as with Super Bowl I, was it some individual who had the foresight to preserve much of the game?
It would have had to have been somebody that worked at one of the network affiliates, as VCR's didn't exist back then. Another source might have been somebody at the Armed Forces Network, as the games were recorded and sent to our soldiers overseas.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen