Can the Packers actually win on Sunday?

Reaser

Re: Can the Packers actually win on Sunday?

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:We are watching one of the most exciting finishes in playoff history.
I think you phrased that correctly, Rupert.

I'm seeing a lot of people - neutrals included - saying it was the "greatest game ever" which keeps bringing to mind the '58 Championship, since quality wise (w/exciting finish and OT) the games are somewhat comparable.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Greatest game ever? It was a very interesting game, I would say.

I thought Seattle came out flat. They never really got any pressure on Rodgers. Maybe they concentrated on coverage, I don't know.

I thought it was closer to Dallas-San Francisco 1972. Including an onside kick.

I expect New England to win the Super Bowl.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Jay Z wrote:Greatest game ever? It was a very interesting game, I would say.

That's a good comparison also. I was thinking 1958 with people saying "greatest game ever" - which it ('58 or today) obviously was not.

Regardless, there tends to be a lot of hype in the immediate aftermath. I wouldn't agree with "greatest game", I would agree with someone saying it was a great or an exciting finish.

It was a poorly played game with an exciting finish. Both teams; bad throws, bad routes, poor effort, bad decision making, dropped balls, dumb penalties, really dumb penalties, breakdowns in coverage, etc ...
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

I thought Seattle came out flat. They never really got any pressure on Rodgers. Maybe they concentrated on coverage, I don't know.

It was not even close to being the greatest game ever. It
had one of the best finishes ever. As for the Packers, I am not sure I have seen a team take a worse loss in the postseason. The only one that might be worse was the Yankees blowing a 3 games to 0 games lead in a 7-game series in 2004.

As for your last sentence, my head says no way for all sorts of schematic and style of play reasons. However, my Jet fan luck, which is very, VERY powerful, points to a Patriots win.

Going into the playoffs, I asked for any matchup but Seahawks vs Patriots. I will settle for one or the other, but, please, not both. Of course, it will be Seahawks vs Patriots. Two former Jets coaches going head to head with one team featuring the greatest Jets player of the past 30 years.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:I'm seeing a lot of people - neutrals included - saying it was the "greatest game ever" which keeps bringing to mind the '58 Championship, since quality wise (w/exciting finish and OT) the games are somewhat comparable.
The game I thought of was another involving the Seahawks: the game against Denver, earlier this season. In each case one team dominated the first 50 minutes or so (maybe 55 yesterday), and then the other staged a miraculous comeback to send the game into overtime. Of course, Denver never actually took the lead, so Seattle didn't have to come back with seconds left, but the plot lines are definitely similar. And though Seattle was the comeback team in one case and the victim of the comeback in the other, in each case the Seahawks won the coin toss for overtime and scored right away to win.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The game's final play brought back brutal memories of another CC game from 20 years ago this month that involved a too-blitz-happy-for-it's-own-good Dom Capers' D getting burned on a big pass play for a TD. Brandon Bostik is already (quite unfairly) forever in Buckner/Bartman status. IMO, Rodgers don't drive them down to tie the game anyway but I do think they should tweak the OT rule one more iota by allowing a 2nd team with the ball to tie the score even if the first team scores a TD. Would add even more excitement/drama to the game, especially if it's a marquee QB. Anyways, what an amazing game it was and the Super Bowl should be quite an intriguing matchup to look forward to (but, then again, same can be said for the anticipation of last year's). Pats will most likely give Seattle a game, but they won't win IMO. A super pass-D beats a super pass-attack just about every time.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Pats will most likely give Seattle a game, but they won't win IMO. A super pass-D beats a super pass-attack just about every time
Good points. I look for the LOB to make an impact against an average WR core and run game.

I feel bad for Green Bay, though. They had a chance to get another ring, and put themselves in the lead for the Team of the 10's (2010, 14). I also like Rodgers, and I wanted to see him beat Brady again.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

King Kong wrote:

As for the Packers, I am not sure I have seen a team take a worse loss in the postseason. The only one that might be worse was the Yankees blowing a 3 games to 0 games lead in a 7-game series in 2004.
The Bowns of '86 AND '87 say hi. :D
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Reaser wrote:

That's a good comparison also. I was thinking 1958 with people saying "greatest game ever" - which it ('58 or today) obviously was not.

Regardless, there tends to be a lot of hype in the immediate aftermath. I wouldn't agree with "greatest game", I would agree with someone saying it was a great or an exciting finish.

It was a poorly played game with an exciting finish. Both teams; bad throws, bad routes, poor effort, bad decision making, dropped balls, dumb penalties, really dumb penalties, breakdowns in coverage, etc ...
Hey Matt, I'm sure you realize that your Seahawks have a couple of former Blue Bombers to thank for playing a huge part in their victory. I didn't realize that Matthews had been activated for the game until he came down with the ball. Sweet revenge for Jon Ryan against the Packers. I understand they let him go because he was a two step punter.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnH19 wrote:Hey Matt, I'm sure you realize that your Seahawks have a couple of former Blue Bombers to thank for playing a huge part in their victory. I didn't realize that Matthews had been activated for the game until he came down with the ball.
Thanks to Winnipeg!

Besides that Seattle recovered the onside kick I was extra excited that it was Matthews. Easy to make a claim on the internet so people can take it however they want, but this morning my friend "bumped" a message of mine from July 26th, 2012. Which I'll just quote here - in response to Seattle signing Antonio Bryant:

"I still don't get why WR is all of a sudden a problem for Seattle and why they solved it with Antonio Bryant and Braylon Edwards. It's like they're going the resurrection route just to do it, or for attention. If they're trying to do that just to say they got someone's career back on track, or just on track, then go get Chris Matthews from the CFL, he's young, he's 6'5", he was good at UK, and he's dominating the first few weeks of the CFL and doing it with Alex Brink as his QB. I mean not many people were a bigger Peter Warrick fan than me, but is that what's next? Wouldn't surprise me."

Then he "bumped" a message from the summer of 2013 where I listed Matthews at the top of my list for players Seattle should sign (of course noting that they couldn't just 'steal' him from Winnipeg during the season) ...

All to go with my friends remembering last February when I was sending out mass texts all excited that Seattle had signed him.

Of course all that was thinking of him as helping at WR, was not thinking he'd recover an onside kick in the NFC Championship so I didn't really "call" anything. Nonetheless, always fun when you say your team should sign a relatively unknown (to the casual fan) player and it actually ends up happening, then the player ends up making a memorable play!