Artie Donovan sez: Welcome Yogi

Rupert Patrick

Re: Artie Donovan sez: Welcome Yogi

Post by Rupert Patrick »

While I was never a Yankee fan, Yogi was always my favorite Yankee. I'm pretty sure Yogi also won more WS rings than any other player (strictly as a player) in baseball history. He is also easily the most quoted player in baseball history, and also in sports history, and is surely one of the ten most quoted people of the 20th century. I once referred to Lou Saban as the Forrest Gump of Pro Football because of the way he shows up sporadically throughout the history of the game, sometimes where you never expect to find him, but he made his mark on the game in little ways here and there all over the place. In a lot of ways, Yogi led a Forrest Gump life, where he went from being an eighth grade dropout to being a war hero and star athlete and household name whose life far exceeded his wildest dreams, but best known perhaps for the unusual way he said things and he became defined by his quotes.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

luckyshow wrote: His first season was in the minor leagues in 1942 at Norfolk, where in one doubleheader he drove in 23 runs.
:shock:

Nice day...
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

It is in the linked article in the original post but just in case you missed it, here is a paragraph deserving of highlight.

In the first game of the 1955 World Series against the Dodgers, the Yankees were ahead, 6-4, in the top of the eighth when the Dodgers’ Jackie Robinson stole home. The plate umpire, Bill Summers, called him safe, and Berra went berserk, gesticulating in Summers’s face and creating one of the enduring images of an on-the-field tantrum. The Yankees won the game although not the Series — it was the only time Brooklyn got the better of Berra’s Yankees — but Berra never forgot the moment. More than 50 years later, he signed a photograph of the play for President Obama, writing, “Dear Mr. President, He was out!”
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
BernardB

Post by BernardB »

I have mixed feelings about Yogi being the media's flavor of the day. I suspect for Yogi, fan and media adulation was something more to be endured than savored. Adulation seems the antithesis of what he was about: quiet, humble, decent, good.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by BernardB » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:32 am
"I have mixed feelings about Yogi being the media's flavor of the day. I suspect for Yogi, fan and media adulation was something more to be endured than savored. Adulation seems the antithesis of what he was about: quiet, humble, decent, good."

Perhaps that is exactly why his passing is so noteworthy?
He was everything that most of the headliners of today are not and the choice is to NOT allow the good to be interred with his bones.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

BD Sullivan wrote:I could have sworn this was a football website...
Ditto.