New Books

James

New Books

Post by James »

When It Was Just a Game: Remembering the First Super Bowl by Harvey Frommer - September 2015

Montana: The Biography of Football's Joe Cool by Keith Dunnavant - September 2015

Founding 49ers: The Dark Days Before the Dynasty by Dave Newhouse - August 2015

Hail to the Redskins!: Gibbs, Riggins, the Hogs, and the Glory Days of D.C.'s Football Dynasty by Adam Lazarus - September 2015

Cheating is Encouraged: A Hard-Nosed Look at the Raiders of the 1970s by Mike Siani & Kristine Clark - September 2015
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
MatthewToy

Re: New Books

Post by MatthewToy »

Looking forward to that Raiders book. I tried to read "Badasses" but it seemed poorly written. Those teams have fascinated me because the Raiders were the first team I was taught to hate.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Some more:

The Valley of the Shadow of Death: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption – September 22, 2015
by Kermit Alexander

Fun City: Joe Namath, John Lindsay, and New York Sports in the 1960s – October 6, 2015
by Sean Deveney
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

All titles sound fascinating!

I'm also intrigued in the '70s Raiders piece. I just finished reading "Their Life's Work" by Gary M. Pomerantz on the '70s Steelers. Thus it will be interesting to hear about the Steelers/Raiders from the Oakland players, coaches, fans, etc. perspectives.
mwald

Post by mwald »

James wrote:When It Was Just a Game: Remembering the First Super Bowl by Harvey Frommer - September 2015

Montana: The Biography of Football's Joe Cool by Keith Dunnavant - September 2015

Founding 49ers: The Dark Days Before the Dynasty by Dave Newhouse - August 2015

Hail to the Redskins!: Gibbs, Riggins, the Hogs, and the Glory Days of D.C.'s Football Dynasty by Adam Lazarus - September 2015

Cheating is Encouraged: A Hard-Nosed Look at the Raiders of the 1970s by Mike Siani & Kristine Clark - September 2015
The 49ers and Raiders books sound interesting. I read "Badasses" which wasn't bad, but the definitive book about Madden's Raiders maybe hasn't been written yet. Unless you count Maddens' first book, which could qualify.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Just finished "Cheating is Encouraged," the book about the 1970s Raiders by Mike Siani.

Not bad, but not great. The problem is, if you've read 'Snake' by Ken Stabler and 'Hey, Wait a Minute' by John Madden, you've read this book. Same stories retold, almost verbatim.

I'm starting to believe the definitive book on the Raiders will never be written, either because the existing stories have become so legendary that the truth doesn't stand a chance, or because Madden already wrote it and that's the best we're going to get.

Worth checking out if you haven't read those, though. Entertaining but not profound.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Anyone read "RAIDER How Offensive Can You Be!!" (25 Years of Silver & Black Football) by Bob Svihus, Wayne Hawkins & Dave Dalby? Published by TriRaider productions 1987
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks to all of the folks who bought my book The NFL in the 1970s: Pro Football's Most Important Decade at the recent PFRA Meeting in Green Bay. I truly appreciate it, and I hope that you enjoy it very much.
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
JWL

Post by JWL »

Joe Zagorski wrote:Thanks to all of the folks who bought my book The NFL in the 1970s: Pro Football's Most Important Decade at the recent PFRA Meeting in Green Bay. I truly appreciate it, and I hope that you enjoy it very much.
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
I couldn't make it to Green Bay but I bought the book online. I won't likely get around to actually reading it until 2017 but it appears to be excellent.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Sept 2016- San Francisco writer Gretchen Atwood has a new book titled "Lost Champions", about the integration of pro football in 1946.