Clinic players

JohnTurney

Clinic players

Post by JohnTurney »

Who are the names that would be considered so fundamentally sound that it could be said they put on a clinic. We all know Night train was awesome, but he was a gambler . . . so would he count?

TJs post about safeties caused me to think about it, I tried to include guys who are not HOFers . . .

CB-Aeneas Williams
CB-Mike Haynes
FS-Nolan Cromwell
SS-Kenny Easley
OLB-Jack Ham
OLB-Derrick Brooks
ILB-Gradishar
MLB-Joe Schmidt
NT-Fred Smerlas
DT-Merlin Olsen
DE-Art Still
DE-Lee Roy Selmon

WR-Joiner
SE-Raymond Berry
RB-Walter Payton
RB- Marshal Faulk
QB-Unitas
T-Dierdorf
T-Walter Jones
G-Joe DeLamielleure
G-Munchak
C-Stephenson
TE-Russ Francis
Veeshik_ya

Re: Clinic players

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Anthony Munoz
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Leon Gray
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

I'd add Jim Parker, as a guard, to my own list
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

I'm working on a list of players that start with the letter 'A'. Will share when ready.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Good list, some of the guys stand out even more, such as Ham and Brooks who I would imagine would be the first two for anyone when they think 'clinic' OLB, same with Olsen at DT.

I like the choice of Faulk, also. Argued with my local friends about him for years though my argument was more about his football IQ with them, but he fits well on this list also (some of that goes hand in hand.) ...

Somewhat related - for anyone unaware - USA Football has had an "All-Fundamentals" team since 2009: http://usafootball.com/all-fundamentals-team

Sometimes their choices seem odd, but it's something.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Reaser wrote:Good list, some of the guys stand out even more, such as Ham and Brooks who I would imagine would be the first two for anyone when they think 'clinic' OLB, same with Olsen at DT.

I like the choice of Faulk, also. Argued with my local friends about him for years though my argument was more about his football IQ with them, but he fits well on this list also (some of that goes hand in hand.) ...

Somewhat related - for anyone unaware - USA Football has had an "All-Fundamentals" team since 2009: http://usafootball.com/all-fundamentals-team

Sometimes their choices seem odd, but it's something.
Yeah, I've seen those, Paul Klatt and I collect them as part of the All-pros (which are available in the members-only section). I am not sure if we will add those selections or not, maybe as an addendum.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Lem Barney
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

NWebster wrote:Lem Barney
wasn't he more of a gambler-type? I could see Adderly or Renfro when he was a CB.

Madden mentioned it in his first book

John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

I think Adderley was more of a gambler, too. Supposedly, that's a big reason he and Landry did not get along.

I would add Forrest Gregg to your clinic list. He was textbook.