Parcells a Football Life

John Maxymuk

Parcells a Football Life

Post by John Maxymuk »

Just read the latest autobiography of bill parcells and enjoyed it. It's 500 pages long so it is a full retelling of his life and career aimed at those with more than a casual interest in the tuna. There is a lot of detail on all the deals and negotiations between Parcells and all the teams he either worked for or almost worked for and it presents a thorough picture of a flawed but compelling figure in pro football history.
mwald

Re: Parcells a Football Life

Post by mwald »

Looking forward to reading this although, as an autobiography, critiquing one's own performance can be tricky waters to navigate.

My favorite book about Parcells (there are several out there) is the one by Bill Gutman. The chapter on Parcells in Brad Adler's "Coaching Matters" is also very good. Excellent book all-around, actually.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

John Maxymuk wrote:Just read the latest autobiography of bill parcells and enjoyed it. It's 500 pages long so it is a full retelling of his life and career aimed at those with more than a casual interest in the tuna. There is a lot of detail on all the deals and negotiations between Parcells and all the teams he either worked for or almost worked for and it presents a thorough picture of a flawed but compelling figure in pro football history.
I've come full circle on Parcells. Originally thought he was one of the greats. Later, Belichick's success and Parcells' lack of success (relatively speaking) without Belichick had me second guessing. When I recently put together the list of coaches who won with two or more teams, I saw how Parcells occupies rare territory with just a few others. Might have to pick this up. Thanks for the brief summary, John.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

V I look forward to your take on the Parcells book.

I have the argument about Parcells nit the same without Belichick and think it's a little overstated. I would certainly agree that Belichick has proven himself the superior head coach, but Parcells was damn effective, particularly as a motivator and organizer. He also recognized both playing and coaching talent. IIRC only Paul Brown had as many former assistants win go on to win NFL championships when they became head coaches.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

John Maxymuk wrote:V I look forward to your take on the Parcells book.

I have the argument about Parcells nit the same without Belichick and think it's a little overstated. I would certainly agree that Belichick has proven himself the superior head coach, but Parcells was damn effective, particularly as a motivator and organizer. He also recognized both playing and coaching talent. IIRC only Paul Brown had as many former assistants win go on to win NFL championships when they became head coaches.
Thanks John. I never thought of myself as a book reviewer, but apparently I've become one. 8-)

It's on my request list at the local library. Will post my thoughts at some point.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Deleted duplicate post
Last edited by Veeshik_ya on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Deleted duplicate post
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Deleted duplicate post
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Deleted duplicate post
Last edited by Veeshik_ya on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Deleted duplicate post