Aspects of the game that don't show up on a stat sheet

SeahawkFever

Aspects of the game that don't show up on a stat sheet

Post by SeahawkFever »

There are a few aspects of the game that I don't see anyone typically bring up when talking about players.

To name a few:

1. I have lost track of how many times I have seen tight ends evaluated solely based off their receiving statistics with no acknowledgement of how well they can block.

2. I typically don't see anyone mention how well defensive players cover or tackle. In particular I typically see linebackers and defensive backs evaluated solely based off of how many interceptions they got.

3. I regularly see defensive lineman evaluated solely by how many sacks (and more recently pressures) they got with no acknowledgement of how well they stopped the running game.

Out of curiosity, who would you say are the best players in the history of the league at these aspects of the game?
Citizen

Re: Aspects of the game that don't show up on a stat sheet

Post by Citizen »

I'd name Mark Bavaro as the best blocking tight end I've seen. Of a more recent vintage, Marcedes Lewis would be up there, along with possibly George Kittle.
Brian wolf

Re: Aspects of the game that don't show up on a stat sheet

Post by Brian wolf »

There are many posts and archives on this site that deal with players who were the best at what they did. For further analysis, its good to look at the archives on Pro Football Journal, where John Turney, Nick Webster, Chris Willis, TJ Troup, Jeffrey Miller and Eric Goska evaluate the best players at their positions, in numerous articles.