Minnesota Vikings #22

RyanChristiansen

Minnesota Vikings #22

Post by RyanChristiansen »

With news that Minnesota Vikings No. 22 Harrison Smith has signed a contract for 2024, let's look at his career and former Minnesota Vikings No. 22 Paul Krause

PAUL KRAUSE (Free Safety - Strong Safety)
2nd round pick for the Washington Redskins in the 1964 NFL draft
Played for the Redskins (1964-67)
Played for the Minnesota Vikings (1968-79)
203 games started
226 games played
(tackles data not available)
2 sacks
19 fumble recoveries
81 interceptions
8 times Pro Bowl
3 times All-Pro
1 NFL Championship
Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame 1998

HARRISON SMITH (Free Safety - Strong Safety - Safety)
1st round pick for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2012 NFL draft
Played for the Minnesota Vikings (2012-23) and under contract for 2024
175 games started
176 games played
766 solo tackles
19.5 sacks
8 fumble recoveries
34 interceptions
6 times Pro Bowl
0 NFC championships

I've always thought of Harrison Smith as a badass mofo, but Krause was way more badass. Different eras, and better defenses around Krause. It's fun to see two guys represent 22 so well for the Vikings. It's a "forever" jersey number for sure. Just wear 22 with no nameplate and you're in good company.

It's worth noting that longtime Vikings return man David Palmer (1994-2000) also wore No. 22.

Others to wear No. 22 for the Vikings:

Dick Pesonen (1961)
Bill Butler (1962-64)
Jeff Jordan (1954-67)
Jarvis Redwine (1981-83)
Steve Freeman (1987)
Ken Johnson (1989-90)
Felix Wright (1991-92)
Tyrone Carter (2001-02)
Ken Irvin (2003-05)
Artose Pinner (2006)
Benny Sapp (2008-2011)
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RyanChristiansen

Re: Minnesota Vikings #22

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Oh, and here is something I missed until just today: The Vikings got Krause and Smith together at Krause's garage, where he holds Vikings game-day events.

https://www.vikings.com/news/rare-vinta ... rs-careers
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:00 pm
Steve Freeman (1987)
I forgot that Steve Freeman was a VIking. Was he a replacement player?

Otto Graham made a lot of questionable decisions, but trading away Krause may have been his worst. Does anyone know the circumstances of why the Redskins sent him to Minnesota?
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Krause was the final piece of the puzzle for the Purple People Eaters. Their pass defense was impenetrable for the next 10 years after Krause arrived in 1968. It’s a joke that he wasn’t elected to Canton until 1998.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Bryan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:22 am
I forgot that Steve Freeman was a VIking. Was he a replacement player?

Otto Graham made a lot of questionable decisions, but trading away Krause may have been his worst. Does anyone know the circumstances of why the Redskins sent him to Minnesota?
Apparently, Redskins’ defensive backfield coach Ed Hughes didn’t think much of Krause’s playing ability and persuaded coach Otto Graham to trade him to Minnesota. At the time, Krause, who had amassed 28 interceptions in four seasons, was bitter about the deal.

“I didn’t care for Otto Graham,” he said in July at the Bobby Mitchell charity golf tournament in Lansdowne, Va. “Graham listened to one of his defensive coaches who didn’t know what he was doing. Then Graham traded me, so I don’t think he knew what he was doing, either.”

Huff didn’t understand the trade, as well, and tried to convince the coaching staff to keep Krause in Washington. Ironically, Huff had been involved in a bitter transaction when the New York Giants traded him to the Redskins before the 1964 season.

“They traded Paul Krause because he wasn’t a great tackler,” Huff said. “I told them, `Don’t trade him. This guy can play weak-side safety like nobody, like Willie Mays in the outfield.’ They said, `He doesn’t tackle.’ I said, `I make all the tackles, that’s what I get paid for.’ They traded him anyway, and he’s in the Hall of Fame. But what do coaches know?”

THE COFFIN CORNER: Vol. 24, No. 1 (2002)
PAUL KRAUSE
By Michael Richman
https://profootballresearchers.org/arch ... 01-925.pdf

btw - Hughes also left after the 1967 season to join SF as their OC with brother in law Dick Nolan
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:31 pm Oh, and here is something I missed until just today: The Vikings got Krause and Smith together at Krause's garage, where he holds Vikings game-day events.

https://www.vikings.com/news/rare-vinta ... rs-careers
To call it a garage in a misnomer. I was there for a Packer-Viking game this past year - he has a nice setup with multiple viewing areas, lots of photos and memorabilia and cars on display. Krause is a wonderful host, making time and effort to meet everyone. The day I was there, Dave Osborn and Autry Beamon were there as well.

He is hosting a draft day event this year, with Osborn and Carl Eller scheduled to be there.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen