Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

JameisBrownston

Re: Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

Post by JameisBrownston »

Losing JJ for a rookie QB is exactly how you don't build a roster.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right JS but now there is rumor Jefferson might be dealt to the Bengals, which would be difficult considering he and Chase would have to get paid, if Higgins was part of the trade. I wouldnt deal him either but maybe Ryan knows; how long has it been since the Vikings drafted a QB in the top 5, ever ?
JameisBrownston

Now getting Burrow, Chase, and Jefferson back together is exactly how you do build a roster... in Madden Franchise. Doubtful whether it's feasible IRL, but if they pull it off, I might actually start to believe the Bengals are a well-run franchise for once in their history. They sure have shown me absolutely nothing in the past year to make me believe so. That Burrow calf injury saga was one of the worst cases of player mismanagement I've witnessed in quite some time. I never thought I would watch Joe Burrow get shoved out there just to look like the most weak-armed bum of a backup you'll ever see for more than a month, but Bungles gonna bungle.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm how long has it been since the Vikings drafted a QB in the top 5, ever ?
The closest is Culpepper, who was the 11th overall pick.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Citizen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:39 am
Brian wolf wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm how long has it been since the Vikings drafted a QB in the top 5, ever ?
The closest is Culpepper, who was the 11th overall pick.
Tarkenton was a third round pick, but technically, University of Wisconsin quarterback Dale Hackbart was the first-ever draft choice for Minnesota.

What? Hackbart? Didn't he start with Green Bay?

In the NFL, yes. But the Minnesota pro franchise hosted the first AFL draft in 1959 and first intended to play in the AFL. In that draft, their first overall pick was Dale Hackbart. Did they intend to use him as a quarterback? Not sure. But in 1966, the Vikings acquired Hackbart from the Redskins and he played in the Vikings' defensive secondary for five seasons before moving on to St. Louis.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:33 pm
Brian wolf wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:15 pm With Cousins now going to the Falcons, the Vikings have their chance to develop someone from the draft but who will they go after?
Well, we got our answer yesterday with the signing of Sam Darnold to the Vikings. They signed him to a one-year, $10 million contract, which I'm told is the cap-percentage equivalent of the Vikings' signing of Matt Cassel to get us past Christian Ponder to Teddy Bridgewater. High indications now the Vikings will try to trade up for a top-three pick to take a quarterback who can carry the Vikings to the Promised Land.
I've seen a lot of Sam Darnold. Probably every pass he's thrown as a Jet. He's a great kid, genuinely a good guy. I desperately wanted him to succeed with the Jets but ended up maddeningly frustrated and disappointed. With the franchise and with him.

The footwork/mechanical issues never went away. One game he'd look fine the next all out of sorts making sloppy off balance lobs to opposing safeties. He's not an accurate thrower even when he does everything perfectly. I wouldn't say he has outright bad accuracy but definitely below average. He could use receivers who could make bigtime plays on balls. His situational awareness isn't good either. When we're in FG range up by 6 in the 4th he would force an INT in the endzone instead of throwing it away or taking a sack and ensuring we have a good chance to go up 2 scores.

On the flip side he will make some insane sandlot plays where a throwaway or potential big sack he will fight his way out of and turn into a 20+ yard gain with some improvising.

With the Jets there are a lot of instances, tapes where you see an open receiver and a makeable throw, but Darnold wouldn't see him and choose a 3 yard dump off. Or when nobody is open but he could take 6-8 yards running it and forces the ball into a bad spot. I remember a great throw he made against the Raiders several years ago...bullet into a tiny window that went for a massive gain. But when looked at again there was another option totally uncovered that he could've lobbed it to and have the receiver walk in for an easy TD. That was the decision you wanted him to make.

To me he was too california cool and laid back. It didn't seem to me he was desperate, dying to win. Cousins will come across as more fiery and passionate than Darnold.

I'm curious if the 49ers had any impact on him and got rid of some of his bad habits. He'd be fine as a backup to whoever the Vikings end up taking. You just really really don't want Darnold as your starter for any more than a few games here and there.
JameisBrownston

All of the top 3 teams except Chicago need a quarterback too bad and none will be willing to trade their pick. They are a prime candidate to trade up for Williams, but I'm not sure they could do it without losing JJ, which defeats the purpose. Minnesota is going to ride Darnold and Dobbs into 2024 unless they can pull off a miracle. Fade Jefferson in rankings for now, more of an early 2nd rounder than top 5 with this QB room.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Maybe McCarthy, Nix or Penix or someone else could be the answer at #11 but Darnold or not, could the Vikings make a play for Fields or even go for Lance in Dallas? I truly thought Lance could replace Prescott, who is facing a sexual lawsuit but the Cowboys may feel he will stay beyond 2024, yet counts a bunch of the cap but maybe Prescott has restructured by now.* Fields has the athleticism the Vikes may need over Darnold but he might cost too much ?

*So far, Prescott hasnt restructured, counting 59.4 million against the cap ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:10 pm All of the top 3 teams except Chicago need a quarterback
Is Chicago going to use the Single Wing this year? If any franchise in the NFL needs a QB, its Chicago.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You would think the Bears would have gotten more value out of Fields somewhere, than dumping him off to the Steelers. Hardly anything in return, which the Patriots did as well getting rid of Mac Jones to Jax. The Steelers themselves basically got a 3rd round pick but gave up a 4th to unload Pickett on the Eagles. Basically a washed 2021 QB draft, with Wilson probably getting dumped as well and only Lawrence remaining for his team.
Maybe the Vikings could get Lance for cheap from Dallas?