Andy Reid vs Tom Landry vs Don Shula

Hail Casares

Re: Andy Reid vs Tom Landry vs Don Shula

Post by Hail Casares »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:13 pm Its close on Reid and Gibbs. I think Gibbs was better and he didnt have to rely on pick plays during his coaching career. Reid deserves credit getting and coaching up Mahomes but during his days with Philly and KC with Alex Smith, he was atrocious with timeouts, clock management and teams running a two minute drill, which cost him in the postseason numerous times. Gibbs was more innovative overrall, expanding on the Sid Gillman-Don Coryell offensive innovations but he could also have poor judgement on his QBs and his teams played down to their opponents level too often. Adapting to Theismann got his career going quickly but he could never find a long-term replacement.
I can see the warts for Reid holding him back a bit but for the credit Gibbs gets for innovation I'm also apt to give Reid a lot of credit for re-inventing himself and his offense during his career. I'd lean Reid about 60-40..I can be a bit of a longevity mark in cases like these but I get the Gibbs stuff too.
Sonny9

Re: Andy Reid vs Tom Landry vs Don Shula

Post by Sonny9 »

Gibbs changed the offense after the horrible 0-5 start in 1981 to finish 8-8 and set the stage for the Riggins years. Had, three receivers with 1000 yards one year, another with a running back with 24 TDs, and won it with Timmy Smith getting the carries in the '87 playoffs.

I think Gibbs had tougher teams to beat out just to win the division 81-92 Philly, NYG, and Dallas had 5 or 6 seasons with 10 or more wins and 3 Super Bowl wins
Except for 1 year with the Bears, the Super Bowl was the 49ers or the NFC East

Reid with Philly 99-12 Washington and Dallas had 3 seasons of 10 or more wins while the Giants had 5 and 2 Super Bowls
with KC - Raiders twice. Chargers twice, Broncos 3 times with 10 wins or more and 1 Super Bowl

However, Reid has done it for twice as long