Purdy's draft position

Bob Gill

Purdy's draft position

Post by Bob Gill »

OK, Purdy was the last player drafted; that seems clear. But on the game last night I believe they said he was the 262nd player taken, and I can't figure out how that would work. I thought the draft was seven rounds, for 32 teams, so that's 224 players in a given year. Or if it's eight rounds, that would be 256. But 262 is not divisible by 32, so how could the last player be the 262nd?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there's some rule that allows them to add a few picks at the end, like for teams that lose a high-priced free agent (as baseball does, I think), or something similar. Somebody here must know, right?
sluggermatt15

Re: Purdy's draft position

Post by sluggermatt15 »

There are compensatory selections/JC resolution picks added beginning at the end of the third round, which effectively adds selections to the draft. The number of compensatory/resolution picks varies from year-to-year.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

sluggermatt15 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:00 pm There are compensatory selections/JC resolution picks added beginning at the end of the third round, which effectively adds selections to the draft. The number of compensatory/resolution picks varies from year-to-year.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Doesnt a team who makes minority hires in coaching and management also get compensatory picks?

What a year for Purdy. He probably wishes he could have had the first thirteen minutes of that SB third quarter back but he kept giving the lead back to SF ... the defense, missing Greenlaw, couldnt seal the deal ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 pm Doesnt a team who makes minority hires in coaching and management also get compensatory picks?

What a year for Purdy. He probably wishes he could have had the first thirteen minutes of that SB third quarter back but he kept giving the lead back to SF ... the defense, missing Greenlaw, couldnt seal the deal ...
Yes, the NFL awards compensatory selections regarding Resolution JC-2A.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -explained

With regards to compensatory selections for free agents lost/gained, only 32 picks are awarded. So, the league evaluates how many players, their eligibility, and gain/losses by teams to determine whether and how they are awarded. A maximum of four compensatory picks can be allotted for a team.