Worst MVP race EVER

Gary Najman

Re: Worst MVP race EVER

Post by Gary Najman »

I think you have to add Devon Witherspoon to the mix.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its a tough call but with Bland leading the league with 9 picks and the record for interception returns for TDs, I feel he should get DPOY but TJ Watt has now led the league three times in sacks. It will be an interesting vote because Crosby, Parsons and Garrett are right there as well.

Though he didnt get credit for part of the sack/pressure that forced Sam Darnold to fumble today that clinched the Rams win, Kobie Turner helped on the play that could give him the nudge over Witherspoon and Carter for DROY but it is very close.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think it should be and will be Bland.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Whats the word in Detroit Richard, how bad is LaPorta's injury?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Hill is out of the MVP race ... great year but bad night. Not enough contested catches. The Bills were simply tougher. Finesse or not, the Dolphins have to find a way in KC next week.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:24 am Hill is out of the MVP race ... great year but bad night. Not enough contested catches. The Bills were simply tougher. Finesse or not, the Dolphins have to find a way in KC next week.
I don't think Tyreek was every in it. If Copper Kupp cannot get more than 1 vote in a triple crown season then Hill would never get enough for consideration.

he was a leading candidate for OPOY early in the season but McCaffrey will take that.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:55 pm Whats the word in Detroit Richard, how bad is LaPorta's injury?
Doesn't look good---out for at least the opening round vs. Stafford & the Rams. Hyperextended left knee and bruise. Campbell said the club would know more today (Monday). Set the all-time NFL record for rookie TE and then gets injured. A tough break.

Dan Skipper was put in as 3rd TE vs. Vikes yesterday. Brock Wright, backup TE, has been playing with a hip injury last couple weeks.

U-M going for its first national title since 1997 tonite and Lions looking for first PO win since 1991. Been a long time since the town's been this excited over its FB teams.
Ness

Post by Ness »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:33 am I definitely haven't watched a less compelling NFL MVP race than 2023, and I'd bet most of you haven't either. Every legitimate candidate has taken turns imploding their first week on top of the odds, to the point where a very average Lamar Jackson season is now being considered. It's gotta be CMC in the end, right?! What changed since AP won, CMC will end with much better stats than AP 2012. Or does Allen get back in it if the Bills win out? He has 40 TDs, and only really fell back because they were 6-6 at one point, but 11-6 is a perfectly fine MVP QB record.

There's just no way it's gonna be Lamar or Hurts or Brock Purdy. The problem is, every QB with a 50m salary has had a very down year, except for Allen and Hurts, who are completely held aloft by the tush push, and I'm feeling a strong counter-push by voters to not credit them for that. Otherwise, they have regressed hard also, both passing and rushing. Worst year of QB play in at least a decade, and I thought last year was kinda rough. Right this second, Joe Flacco seriously might be the most dangerous QB going into the playoffs...
Nothing wrong with Brock Purdy. He's having a 1st-Team All Pro type of season. Highest YPA ever min 350 attempts. He's become a victim of circumstance in this day, and age of scrutiny by being penalized for having a stellar cast. The same logic could apply to Warner, or Montana having "help" in years past, but it was a different society back then with not everyone having a platform to gripe about it. Purdy is also dead last in passing attempts (Shanahan offense is a run based offense of course), yet is still putting up remarkable numbers with that handicap.

If Purdy even has an "average" game on Christmas against the Ravens, he's probably MVP. He just happened to have his worst game in terms of turnover luck (I really only fault the first one he tossed to Hamilton) against the Ravens, who are shaping up to be one a historically good defense. Every other game he's been very good for the most part. Only other one that was very lackluster was against the Browns, who also have a great defense. It was a road game, bad weather, and his kicker missed a FG at the end to win it.

Lamar is striking at the right time, even if his numbers have been so-so this year. It's towards the end of the season, and he dunked on the 49ers, and Dolphins in back to back weeks. People (this happens every year) are only going to remember the last 3 or 4 weeks largely when talking MVP candidates.

There isn't a QB putting up 40 plus TDs, so there is a large groan this year on who the MVP should be. And no, CMC as good as he is, shouldn't get the award. No runningback should.

And how can this be the worst MVP race ever when Mark Moseley won the MVP one year??? :lol:
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Richard ... I am anticipating a shootout sunday night. Can Houston and Gardner-Johnson be the difference on Lions defense?
Last edited by Brian wolf on Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

1982 had obvious right choices in Dan Fouts or Wes Chandler. Strike years seem to befuddle MVP voters, happened in 87 also.

Personally, I think this was the worst NFL regular season I've ever watched. I can't imagine the playoffs could possibly be worse than 2018's.