Matt Hazeltine

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

Matt Hazeltine

Post by Halas Hall »

Matt Hazeltine had a long run at linebacker for the 49ers from 1955 to 1968, then played one season with the Giants in 1970. I think he earned post-season honors in two of those years. He played before I began watching football. Is he a viable / overlooked candidate for the Hall of the Very Good?

Was he an outstanding linebacker? Just wondering.

Thank you.
Nick
JuggernautJ

Re: Matt Hazeltine

Post by JuggernautJ »

I don't remember him well but he was respected on the 49ers and in the Bay Area.
He was a team captain for years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... zeMa00.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Hazeltine
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Halas Hall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:26 pm Matt Hazeltine had a long run at linebacker for the 49ers from 1955 to 1968, then played one season with the Giants in 1970. I think he earned post-season honors in two of those years. He played before I began watching football. Is he a viable / overlooked candidate for the Hall of the Very Good?

Was he an outstanding linebacker? Just wondering.

Thank you.
Nick
IMO, yes. He's in same league as several right-side linebackers of that era... Larry Morris, Wayne Walker ... possibly even Maxie Baughan. Baughan got a lot of his Pro Bowls when he was in NFL Eastern Conference. Not as much competition as NFL West at OLBer ... but Baughan got more accolades but not sure he was actually a ton better. Film does not show it. He had some intangibles --- leader, play caller, etc.

HOVG -- my opinion is he's qualified for it ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Agreed hazeltine belongs in the hovg in my op