Aidan Hutchinson gets another pick

RichardBak

Aidan Hutchinson gets another pick

Post by RichardBak »

Lions DE Aidan Hutchinson picked off another pass in Detroit's win over the Panthers today. That gives him 4 in his first 22 NFL games, which as far as I can tell is unprecedented in NFL history. He had 3 as a rookie last year. With #4 he's already one-third of the way towards Ron McDole's record of 12 career interceptions by a lineman. And it took McDole some 15 or so seasons to accomplish it.

What's really weird is that Hutchinson never had a single interception in all the years he played ball until he turned pro---not at Divine Child HS (just a few blocks from my home) or at Michigan.

Just one of those statistical factoids I always find interesting for some reason.....
rhickok1109

Re: Aidan Hutchinson gets another pick

Post by rhickok1109 »

I assume you're talking about defensive linemen, since Night Train Lane had 14 INTs in his first 12 games.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

RichardBak wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:58 pm Just one of those statistical factoids I always find interesting for some reason.....
Dwight White had 4 INTs in a 10 year career....and those 4 INTs were accumulated in 2 games.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

rhickok1109 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:15 am I assume you're talking about defensive linemen, since Night Train Lane had 14 INTs in his first 12 games.
Right, defensive linemen. I should've clarified.

As I noted in another thread a while back, Lamar Lundy had 3 career picks as a DE for the Rams, and returned each for a TD. Hard to beat that.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Eagles NT Charlie Johnson had 4 interceptions between the 1980 and 1981 seasons. He had another two years later as a member of the Vikings.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Didnt Larry Cole score all of his four defensive TDs against the Redskins?

Jason Taylor's defensive TDs off fumbles and interceptions might have gotten him voted in on the first ballot, which many people still dont agree with ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

He's listed only as "LE" on Pro Football Reference but according to http://profootballresearchers.com/archi ... 03-259.pdf (from right here on PFRA!) Lavvie Dilweg nabbed 27 opponents' passes during his career in Green Bay.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Dilweg's total seems more in line with a linebacker, so I wonder if he played that on the defensive side. If he was a DE, he has the position record by a mile.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I'm not sure as I'm not particularly well-versed in how teams lined up defensively way back then (although I've gotten the impression that there were at least 5 men - and maybe even more than that - typically on the defensive line back in those days). However, this wonderful football simulation that I purchased last year has Lavvie Dilweg listed as both a "WR" and as a "DE," as does the 'Coffin Corner' piece that I provided a link to.
Last edited by racepug on Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Jason Taylor was practically a scoring machine for a DE---9 TD and 3 safeties, to go along w/ his 139 sacks.