Miami sets yardagerecord? Or not

TodMaher

Re: Miami sets yardagerecord? Or not

Post by TodMaher »

JohnTurney wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:10 pm
This is significant and someone else will have to answer. In the early 2010s the NFL eliminated miscellaneous yardage ... it all has to be accounted for. It cost one gay a sack because of a FF and where it was recovered ... past the LOS. For some reason it was not able to be accounted for. I never dug too deep.

First, I don't know if this would be misc. yardage or not. Don't know when that started. Elias would be one to know or maybe a PFRA member
Second, no matter what it is, it has to be accounted for and as you point out it does appear that negative ten yards are missing.
Third, it makes a difference. This would be a whole new angle and I didn't catch that one. It's great work.

So, you are saying there is an un-accounted-for rush by Hoerner that may or many not have happened on this play because it
is clear that Van Brocklin's lateral was intercepted.

This is the part that frustrates me to no end -- I have the first 3 quarters of this game on film. I am missing the 4th quarter ... right where the key play is.

All of the game is significant historically but had one of the 4 reels survived we'd have the play to see what happened.
I think laterals were still a separate stat category that year.

Also, I believe is miscellaneous yardage is just blocked punts, blocked field goals and missed field goals return yardage.

Anyway, here is this year's Guide for Statisticians:

https://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentat ... icians.pdf
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:27 pm I think laterals were still a separate stat category that year.

Also, I believe is miscellaneous yardage is just blocked punts, blocked field goals and missed field goals return yardage.

Anyway, here is this year's Guide for Statisticians:

https://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentat ... icians.pdf
Thanks for the definition of misc. yards...good to know. All I remember is that sack thing and the explanation given
to the coach but that is helpful

Thank you.

Will download the manual

As far as laterals I pulled out the yearly record books and looks like laterals
ended as a separate category in 1949.

Didn't see it after that.
CraigRye

Post by CraigRye »

Agree with the laterals as an individual category being stopped see below extract from the 1950 NFL Championship game.
Attachments
1950 NFLC.png
1950 NFLC.png (36.29 KiB) Viewed 455 times