Was Roy Green a two-way player in 1981?

Bryan

Re: Was Roy Green a two-way player in 1981?

Post by Bryan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:26 pm All of the names we've mentioned were just moonlighting, though, besides arguably Bailey. How long has it been since someone was recruited on both sides and jumped straight into playing both ways, eventually leading to starting games on both sides and playing nearly every snap, like Hunter has?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:42 pm
JameisSaintston wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:26 pm All of the names we've mentioned were just moonlighting, though, besides arguably Bailey. How long has it been since someone was recruited on both sides and jumped straight into playing both ways, eventually leading to starting games on both sides and playing nearly every snap, like Hunter has?
Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross, starred at RB and CB. Was drafted by the Steelers in the 9th round of the 1988 NFL Draft, but I believe he didn't play in the regular season.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Chris Gamble was like Champ Bailey (and Woodson, who played less on offense) but always seems like he's forgotten, despite that they won the national championship. Presumably because Woodson and Champ were both more popular in college and obviously had better NFL careers. But in college, Gamble did the same things -- he started both at WR and CB for the last half of their national championship season, and of course was return man, too.

Owen Marecic was a true two-way player, also. But again, gets forgotten since FB isn't as sexy as WR/CB or RB/LB (locally had Shaq Thompson at UW doing that one year, similar to what Jack did at UCLA) but he was starting FB and starting LB.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Gary Najman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:34 pmGordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross, starred at RB and CB. Was drafted by the Steelers in the 9th round of the 1988 NFL Draft, but I believe he didn't play in the regular season.
He did play a few games of Arena Football, though.

I believe it wasn't until his Jr. year that he became a two-way player. So doesn't quite fit the criteria of the question, but memorable and cool enough story that I'm not sure it matters.