Worst RBs/WRs with a 1000 yard season?

sheajets

Re: Worst RBs/WRs with a 1000 yard season?

Post by sheajets »

Gaston Green comes to mind for Denver. 4 very nondescript years in the NFL where he wasn't much of a blip on the radar despite being a 1st rounder. I was never impressed with him

1991 however, 1,037 yards in 13 games. Pretty darn good. By 1993 he was out of the league

Also Ronald Moore, 1,018 yards with the 1993 Cardinals (sub 4.0 ypc) and his career was pretty much down the toilet immediately afterward

Steve Slaton...an impressive 1,282 with Houston in 2008. Fell off the radar immediately. Played parts of 3 more seasons and out of the league by 2012

The Bears James Allen. One random 1,100 yard season in 2000. His other 4 years in the league were nothing special

Beanie Wells 1,047 yards in 14 games in 2011. Only played 4 seasons in the NFL and never eclipsed 800 in any of them
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:16 am Gaston Green comes to mind for Denver. 4 very nondescript years in the NFL where he wasn't much of a blip on the radar despite being a 1st rounder. I was never impressed with him.
One thing I remember about that NFL draft was the top four RBs were Gaston Green, Brad Muster, Craig Heyward and Lorenzo White. There was no hype for Thurman Thomas, who actually had more college rushing yards than any of those 4 guys. Not sure why that was, but Thurman fell to the 2nd round while the other guys were 1st round picks. I'm guessing that Thurman ended up with more career rushing yards than the other 4 RBs combined.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:16 am
The Bears James Allen. One random 1,100 yard season in 2000. His other 4 years in the league were nothing special
Another Bear I'm thinking of is Raymont Harris - 1,033 yards in 1997 with a 3.8 ypc, and 10 TDs; less than 1,500 yards with a 3.7 ypc and 6 TDs in another six seasons combined.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bryan wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:54 pm
sheajets wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:16 am Gaston Green comes to mind for Denver. 4 very nondescript years in the NFL where he wasn't much of a blip on the radar despite being a 1st rounder. I was never impressed with him.
One thing I remember about that NFL draft was the top four RBs were Gaston Green, Brad Muster, Craig Heyward and Lorenzo White. There was no hype for Thurman Thomas, who actually had more college rushing yards than any of those 4 guys. Not sure why that was, but Thurman fell to the 2nd round while the other guys were 1st round picks. I'm guessing that Thurman ended up with more career rushing yards than the other 4 RBs combined.
Thurman had injury concerns, or he probably would have been top-10.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Lendale White and Chris Brown were disappointments for the Titans ... Brown got hurt in 2006 and with White disappointing, the stage was set for Chris Johnson, who broke big runs with the Titans but also laxed after the huge payday ...

An Oiler back, Gary Brown, disappointed after his breakout 1993 season but did have another 1000 season with the Giants. Alonzo Highsmith and Mike Rozier were huge disappointments on a line with two All-Pros ...
conace21

Post by conace21 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:45 pm
Bryan wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:54 pm
Thurman had injury concerns, or he probably would have been top-10.
He partially tore his ACL in 1986, and never had surgery. He just wore a knee brace his senior year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thurman Thomas and Frank Gore had knee concerns coming out of college but their NFL careers werent bad ...
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:19 pm Thurman Thomas and Frank Gore had knee concerns coming out of college but their NFL careers werent bad ...
I'm convinced that, usually, trying to predict injuries from previous injuries is like trying to predict the next spin of a slot machine from its previous spins. The exceptions are when a guy keeps injuring the same part over and over or is Jimmy Garoppolo.
LenDale White
That's another topic: worst players with a 10 TD season. White had 15!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bob Mann had a memorable season catching passes for the Detroit Lions in 1949. Instead of letting his career flourish, the team tries to undercut him and ask him to take a paycut. He refuses and is traded to the the New York Yanks. The trade turns out great for a new leader at QB for the Lions but Mann goes from a productive season as the NFL's first black 1000 yard receiver to looking for a job. Mann ends up signing with a bad team from Green Bay who embraces him while he never can get his career momentum back. His ability helps the team become more exciting during the years 51-53 but injuries end his career early.

The Lions of course benefit from this lopsided trade that could have been mentioned on other threads, yet Lions fans need to know that without the possible worst circumstances happening to Bob Mann --other than serious injury-- their 50s championship aspirations might not have ever happened.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With a mother naming her son Terdell, a young man would have to deal with adversity at a young age but Terdell Middleton became a Packers player and produced a PB season and 1000 yard rushing year in 1978. Injuries ended any repeat performance and he was done by the early 80s. With many running backs throughout NFL history having short careers, its easier to appreciate the ones that can avoid injuries and stay so consistently good or even great.