(More) Thoughts on Super Bowl V

Bryan

(More) Thoughts on Super Bowl V

Post by Bryan »

I watched a 'recreated' full broadcast of Super Bowl V, and it was interesting to see the game unfold in real time, although a few 4th quarter plays were still missing. Here are some random thoughts on the game:

*The number one thing that stood out to me was how dominant both defensive lines were. George Andrie and Roy Hilton were all over the QBs whenever they tried to pass, and Jethro Pugh was especially disruptive. Neither offense could sustain any drive.

*John Unitas was atrocious. He was lucky to complete a single pass in the game. His passes were late, weak, and inaccurate. He had 2 INTs and a fumble, and had a 3rd INT by Lee Roy Jordan called back due to a penalty. The Colts were fortunate that Unitas got knocked out of the game, although he spent the 2nd half warming up on the sidelines with the announcers constantly speculating about his return.

*A big factor in this game was turf. Not only were both teams unfamiliar with turf (especially Baltimore), but the turf at the Orange Bowl was especially slick. Lots of slips during the game, which probably contributed to the sloppiness.

*Craig Morton was terrible as well. Most of his passes were nowhere near the receiver. His best passes were dropped by Bob Hayes.

*Chuck Howley really did deserve the MVP. He was making plays the entire game. He tripped up Unitas on the play in which Unitas fumbled, and he wasn't fooled by the 4th down goal line pass and tied up Tom Mitchell at the LOS. Both of these were big plays.

*Its really too bad that Eddie Hinton didn't score on the wacky play, because it really was an underrated move by Sam Havrilak to just throw a pass. Cornell Green made a great play to chase down Hinton from behind, although kind of weak for Hinton to fumble on that play.

*The Colts were the better team once Morrall entered the game. I think for that reason, the Thomas fumble at the goal line was the big play rather than Reeves dropping a pass at the end and getting it INT'd. If Thomas doesn't fumble on 1st and goal from the 2, the Cowboys likely punch it in for a TD, go up 20-6, and can just kill the clock the rest of the half. If Reeves doesn't drop that pass, the Cowboys still would have to punt the ball back to Baltimore and the game would go into OT at 13-13, with the Colts being the stronger team at that point.
slats7

Re: (More) Thoughts on Super Bowl V

Post by slats7 »

Craig Morton was terrible as well. Most of his passes were nowhere near the receiver. His best passes were dropped by Bob Hayes.
It didn't help that he lost one of his best receivers, Lance Rentzel, due to "personal reasons." :?
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Would've been nice if a game like that soured everyone on AstroTurf and it would've fallen out of favor much faster. It was dangerous and ugly. Just never liked the aesthetic of stadiums with that carpet
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I think there remains a "tribute" podcast to George Young on the New York Giants website that was done when he passed away. Young was the Colts offensive line coach in 1970 and Ernie Accorsi mentions the Cowboys shrewdly "inverted" their defensive line for SB V and there was very little running room for the Colts.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Halas Hall wrote:Ernie Accorsi mentions the Cowboys shrewdly "inverted" their defensive line for SB V and there was very little running room for the Colts.
wonder what he meant by "inverted" - was it the flex? or Something else?

Would be fun to know.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I can't wait until someone who's had the entire game in his or her attic all this time simply gives it to the NFL and allow the whole telecast to be available. Of course the entire 4th quarter all the way to Virginia Halas giving the Trophy to the Colts in the locker room (include commercials too). Correct me if wrong, but I believe she did award them the Trophy.

From a Steeler-fan who does not feel "guilty" at all about SBXL, I strongly feel that those Colt players should be proud of that Ring! Yes, feel sick about '64 and '68 (and '67 too) but feel good about SBV! Football is not always pretty. Just Win, Baby. Especially on the biggest stage! A World Championship is a World Championship!

It was the first Super Bowl of my life. Likely I was in a crib in some living room "watching" it. That adds to my soft-spot for the event. The 'Boys playing in their unusual blue jerseys contrasting with the Colts' whites in that Florida sun adds even more glitter with me. And scoreboard-wise, it was very competitive and suspenseful to the very end! You like defensive football? Well wasn't it both D's that made the game so..."Blunder"-some??
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

https://www.giants.com/podcasts/giants- ... ung-vinny-

I think it starts around the 5 minute mark. Sounds like the Cowboys switched the positions on their defensive line.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Do you think SB 5 would have come off differently if the playoffs play out differently (ie the Lions, Raiders, Vikings, 49ers)? Heck what if the Rams/Cardinals/Giants made it?

Suppose we got Vikings/Colts or Cowboys/Dolphins 1 year prior? (Some of the other playoff teams in 1970 had very capable defenses that could have wreaked havoc as well)

As the old saying goes: styles make fights
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

As Bryan stated, the fumble and delayed recovery by the Cowboys was the critical play that might have buried the Colts but psychologically, the pass Morton missed with a wide open back near the goalline really should have been a walk-in TD and in some older Cowboys fans minds, they knew the Cowboys were too tense that day ...
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Bryan wrote:*Chuck Howley really did deserve the MVP. He was making plays the entire game. He tripped up Unitas on the play in which Unitas fumbled, and he wasn't fooled by the 4th down goal line pass and tied up Tom Mitchell at the LOS. Both of these were big plays.
Who wins MVP if it was given to the winning team? I was thinking Tom Nowatzke, but maybe a defensive player would deserve it.
74_75_78_79_ wrote:I can't wait until someone who's had the entire game in his or her attic all this time simply gives it to the NFL and allow the whole telecast to be available. Of course the entire 4th quarter all the way to Virginia Halas giving the Trophy to the Colts in the locker room (include commercials too). Correct me if wrong, but I believe she did award them the Trophy.
This makes me wonder... which Super Bowls do we not officially have all the footage? Super Bowl I was lost, but they spliced it together for that horrible NFL Network special where the talking heads talked all over the audio to make for an unwatchable program. Super Bowl II, I think, is about halfway lost, at least. Super Bowl III survives, but Super Bowl IV is all black-and-white. And Super Bowl V is missing most of the fourth quarter. Everything else afterward is safe. Were film reels back in those days really that expensive that they needed to be reused instead of kept for historical purposes? I don't know, maybe they were.