Post-modern Oline/Dline Conversions

Post by JohnTurney »

Calling post-modern after the Bednarik/Connor/Gifford era--

Or maybe even Common Draft--
Can think of
Charley Hannah, DE to T, then to G
Ken Jones, also DE to T
Leonard Mitchell DE to T

with Hannah and Jones being pretty successful, Mitchell, less so.

Mike Schad was a defensive lineman for about a week in Rams camp, failed at T, tried at DE, then converted to guard, then cut.
but never actually played defense in a game so that was a failure to failure, though Schad did end up starting in Philly.

In the 2000s Seahawks were maybe the best at taking college DLmen and making them Olmen - they seeming liked
the athleticism of DLmen - not all worked out, but they tried several guys . . . an interesting strategy for developmental guys.
but there are way too many guys like that over the years...so not counting college one thing converted to another.

Have to be a others like Hannah and Jones...

Ricard was converted from Dl to FB-but a blocking kind of guy.
Jay Z

Re: Post-modern Oline/Dline Conversions

Post by Jay Z »

Len St. Jean
Halvor Hagen
Mike P. McCoy (1977 training camp)
Gale Gillingham
Stan Jones
Ken Iman and Bill Curry both played some LB if that counts
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote:Len St. Jean
Halvor Hagen
Gale Gillingham
Stan Jones
Halvor Hagen is a great one I didn't know nor did I know about Mike P. McCoy, thanks.
I needed reminding on St. Jean and Gillingham...Jones I was kind of left out because he played
so much in the 1950s and his conversion on the borderline of my arbitrary timeline.

And Mike Curtis was a fullback, Mike Furrey converted to - but there are a lot of examples
and I am sure folks will add. My OP was about line switches but any kind of discussion
is interesting.

Gillingham - got hurt against Raiders - violated one of Proscout's axioms "Don't move blues"

Most of these others were position changes on guys who were not "blue", so didn't go against
PSI's opinion that you shouldn't switch positions on elite players.

However, they usually are talking about positions closer to the original, like DE to OLber
or the other way around. Or guard to tackle, he reasoning is in most cases you weaken
both positions. Not 100% of the time, but enough for an "axiom".

Stan Jones--he would be a "blue" move I guess, if that existed at the time. Was just reading
about Jones' switch and Allen's role in it.

Anyway, thanks for the names - appreciate the knowledge.

One note: PFR is now going to change Leonard Mitchell's 1981 and 1982 seasons to DE
they now have him as a tackle (wearing #99) . . .
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

JohnTurney wrote:
Jay Z wrote:Len St. Jean
Halvor Hagen
Gale Gillingham
Stan Jones
Halvor Hagen is a great one I didn't know nor did I know about Mike P. McCoy, thanks.
I needed reminding on St. Jean and Gillingham...Jones I was kind of left out because he played
so much in the 1950s and his conversion on the borderline of my arbitrary timeline.

And Mike Curtis was a fullback, Mike Furrey converted to - but there are a lot of examples
and I am sure folks will add. My OP was about line switches but any kind of discussion
is interesting.

Gillingham - got hurt against Raiders - violated one of Proscout's axioms "Don't move blues"

Most of these others were position changes on guys who were not "blue", so didn't go against
PSI's opinion that you shouldn't switch positions on elite players.

However, they usually are talking about positions closer to the original, like DE to OLber
or the other way around. Or guard to tackle, he reasoning is in most cases you weaken
both positions. Not 100% of the time, but enough for an "axiom".

Stan Jones--he would be a "blue" move I guess, if that existed at the time. Was just reading
about Jones' switch and Allen's role in it.

Anyway, thanks for the names - appreciate the knowledge.

One note: PFR is now going to change Leonard Mitchell's 1981 and 1982 seasons to DE
they now have him as a tackle (wearing #99) . . .
Had Dan Devine not derailed Gilly’s career by moving him to the Dline in the preseason of ‘72, would Gilly be among those ‘70s linemen considered elite? He had a wonderful run from ‘68 to ‘71, back in ‘73 and ‘74. Of all the mistakes and missteps of Devine, that decision always stood out to me.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Washington Darryl Grant G to DT
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Curley Culp started out as an offensive guard before being moved to DT.

Russ Washington was a full-time DT before switching over to OT and had a fine career.

The Oilers had this giant named Greg Sampson in the 1970s. He played a couple years as a backup DT, and then became the regular starter at LT.

Mark Bortz as a DL at Iowa and then become a pretty good OG for the Chicago Bears in the 1980s. I don't think he ever played DL in the NFL.

One guy who always interested me is Paul Crane of the Jets. He was mainly a sometimes-starter at LB for the late 60's Jets, and looked pretty athletic, but it was also mentioned that he would fill in at center. I've never seen film of Crane playing center, but the guy was barely 200 pounds so that would have been remarkable to see.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This may or may not be trackable on Stathead but Mike Furrey may be the only player to have 4 interceptions one season followed by a 1000 yard receiving season.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

ChrisBabcock wrote:This may or may not be trackable on Stathead but Mike Furrey may be the only player to have 4 interceptions one season followed by a 1000 yard receiving season.
I think this is true. However, Roy Green had four interceptions in his career and multiple 1000 yard receiving seasons. Gino Capelletti had four interceptions in 1960, and did not have a 1000 yard receiving season, though he had more career receiving yards than Furrey.

Switching was more common in the 1960s than it was today. Marlin McKeever and Clendon Thomas both played both sides of the ball. Of course, everyone at that time had college experience on both sides. One more recent convert (1980s) was Bobby Humphrey of the Jets.

Getting back to linemen, Ken Jones of the Bills was one of the last to start on both sides as a lineman.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote:Curley Culp started out as an offensive guard before being moved to DT.

Russ Washington was a full-time DT before switching over to OT and had a fine career.

The Oilers had this giant named Greg Sampson in the 1970s. He played a couple years as a backup DT, and then became the regular starter at LT.

Mark Bortz as a DL at Iowa and then become a pretty good OG for the Chicago Bears in the 1980s. I don't think he ever played DL in the NFL.

One guy who always interested me is Paul Crane of the Jets. He was mainly a sometimes-starter at LB for the late 60's Jets, and looked pretty athletic, but it was also mentioned that he would fill in at center. I've never seen film of Crane playing center, but the guy was barely 200 pounds so that would have been remarkable to see.
Was not aware of the Bortz or Crane stories
JWL

Post by JWL »

Brandon Moore was a defensive lineman in college but switched to offense in the NFL.