Who is your pick for 3rd-best Dallas Cowboys QB ever?

74_75_78_79_

Who is your pick for 3rd-best Dallas Cowboys QB ever?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

There's no dispute, of course, who takes up the top-two spots.

But the next spot down has quite the list of candidates with each one having a solid argument for him - Don Meredith, Danny White, Tony Romo, and Dak Prescott. I'm assuming that no one here considers Craig Morton as a candidate despite actually leading his team to a Super Bowl whereas the others didn't.

There are those who may vote Romo or Prescott with the logic being that they didn't play on as good of teams that Don and Danny did. But I can't help but to still place both on a higher tier just the same. It's down to Meredith or White IMO. Just not totally sure who to pick. And also not sure who to pick for '5th' between Tony or Dak.

Thoughts?
RRMarshall

Re: Who is your pick for 3rd-best Dallas Cowboys QB ever?

Post by RRMarshall »

Since QBs seem to be measured on postseason results despite his losses in conference title games White played well in the divisional playoffs and got his team there. Of course the big comeback against the Falcons, on the road no less, in 1980 stands out. He would be my 3rd place vote.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Romo by a hair over White. Prescott fifth... for now. Will probably rise to #3 at some point.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

White had some playoff success but who didn't with the Cowboys at the time. Meredith and Morton won playoff games too. White had his moments but overall was an unexceptional playoff performer. I'll go with Romo for #3.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its easily Danny White, who took the team to three consecutive championship games. Romo and Prescott underachieved, while Meredith and Morton, like White, had huge championship losses. Though I disagree that Aikman should have been first ballot elected to the HOF, he was as clutch in postseason as Staubach, though Staubach has the overrall winning pct to be #1 ...

Another question is ... Who was the worst QB in Cowboys history? I would go with Quincy Carter but others may say Pelluer or someone else ...
Last edited by Brian wolf on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Craig Morton started playoff games in three different decades. Did he win a playoff game in three different decades? Did he ever throw for 300 yards in a playoff game? He had a wild career.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Morton never won a playoff game in the 60s or went to one in the 80s. In 1981, the Broncos had a chance to win their division but lost crucial games to the Chargers and Bears to eliminate them ...

Considering his draft status, he justified it winning two separate conference championship games but needed a complete team around him. Yes, his SB games were very bad but he also played hurt in both of them and played behind a line in SB 12 that had a terrible day. His arm at one time in the 60s was considered one of the strongest ever before hurting it in 1967, I believe but he didnt have the mobility to hold off a more athletic QB in Staubach.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

For me, White easily, even on those early 80s team he was a mainstay.

As for the worse Cowboys QB ever, I would go with Steve Pelluer. Sure, he played behind a porous line with Phil Pozderac, but he didn't use well the talents of Herschel Walker and Doug Cosbie, and was turnover prone.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:For me, White easily, even on those early 80s team he was a mainstay.

As for the worse Cowboys QB ever, I would go with Steve Pelluer. Sure, he played behind a porous line with Phil Pozderac, but he didn't use well the talents of Herschel Walker and Doug Cosbie, and was turnover prone.
Poor Steve Pelluer....I remember him being compared to Roger Staubach because he was 'mobile'. He was just a mid-round pick who ended up playing because Danny White kept getting hurt and Gary Hogeboom had been shipped off to Indy. Probably never should have been a starter in the first place.

The worst I've seen is Anthony Wright. His MNF performance against the Titans was incredible. Wright and the Cowboys offense had done nothing in the 1st half but were only trailing 7-0 at the start of the third quarter....then at the start of the 3rd quarter is was like Anthony Wright rapid fire...fumble, TEN TD! fumble, TEN TD! INT, TEN TD! Just a one-man wrecking crew.

Honorable mention goes to Quincy Carter. He was so bad that even though he was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL in 2003, he still nearly won the Comeback Player of the Year award!! Unbelievable stuff.

As far as 3rd best, I'd have to go with Romo because he was consistently above average/upper tier for a longer period of time than Danny White. Dak can surpass both White and Romo depending on how his career pans out.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

1. Staubach
2. Aikman
3. Meredith
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."