1931 Portsmouth Spartans discussion

TanksAndSpartans

Re: 1931 Portsmouth Spartans discussion

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks Ralph. Did a quick Google search and found Christl is still writing some really good history! Not to derail the thread, but I found a recent article with some great content and some focus on the ‘30s and Clarke Hinkle: https://www.packers.com/news/thumbs-up- ... nkle-pitch. He's not a member? Seems like he'd be a good addition to the board.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bob Gill wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I suspect you're referring to Larry Names' history of the Packers.

Cliff Christl leads the list of people who are quite dismissive of his work. It's rather strange, because he did do an enormous amount of research, but he made some enormous leaps to rather foolish conclusions. And somehow, despite all his work, he missed a lot.
Yes! That's the name. Do you know if he wrote three volumes or four? I'm guessing four, since I think the first one ended at 1932, so he still had quite a way to go.

Added later: I just found the books on Amazon, and there are actually SIX volumes, not three or four. Did not remember that.
I'm a Packer fan, member here, have contributed to our books, own many books. I do not own the Larry Names Packers books.

I checked a couple out from the library. They are opinionated and not that well written. The writing is competent, just not that interesting or well edited. A lot of information dumps where he just lists everything he has on a certain subject. Not something I need in a narrative book.

I don't mind opinions, but Cliff Christl's are better backed up. Names exceeds his grasp.

Cliff was at the PFRA conference in Green Bay and has a copy of the Packers book we did. I know he used our book as a source in some bios he wrote. Glad he's back at his weekly writing after finishing up the Packer history. He has a lot of interview material and glad he is putting stuff out there again.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Jay Z wrote:I'm a Packer fan, member here, have contributed to our books, own many books. I do not own the Larry Names Packers books.

I checked a couple out from the library. They are opinionated and not that well written. The writing is competent, just not that interesting or well edited. A lot of information dumps where he just lists everything he has on a certain subject.
I only saw the one volume and mostly skimmed through it, but that's exactly the impression I got from it too.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Jay Z wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I suspect you're referring to Larry Names' history of the Packers.

Cliff Christl leads the list of people who are quite dismissive of his work. It's rather strange, because he did do an enormous amount of research, but he made some enormous leaps to rather foolish conclusions. And somehow, despite all his work, he missed a lot.
Yes! That's the name. Do you know if he wrote three volumes or four? I'm guessing four, since I think the first one ended at 1932, so he still had quite a way to go.

Added later: I just found the books on Amazon, and there are actually SIX volumes, not three or four. Did not remember that.
I'm a Packer fan, member here, have contributed to our books, own many books. I do not own the Larry Names Packers books.

I checked a couple out from the library. They are opinionated and not that well written. The writing is competent, just not that interesting or well edited. A lot of information dumps where he just lists everything he has on a certain subject. Not something I need in a narrative book.

I don't mind opinions, but Cliff Christl's are better backed up. Names exceeds his grasp.

Cliff was at the PFRA conference in Green Bay and has a copy of the Packers book we did. I know he used our book as a source in some bios he wrote. Glad he's back at his weekly writing after finishing up the Packer history. He has a lot of interview material and glad he is putting stuff out there again.
Cliff calls it when he sees it:

https://www.packers.com/news/the-story- ... t-18822944

Cliff is a newspaperman at heart. He calls himself out, too:

https://www.packers.com/news/it-s-time- ... t-it-right

At Green Bay, I was lucky to have an empty seat next to me on Friday night. First, Cliff and Chuck Lane took it before they spoke to the group and I had some fun conversations with each. Then Bob Long took it and had so much fun he decided to stay all night and the next day.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:Down in the Valley....not of any general interest.

If you're really looking for one, I can take a look around here, because they might have sent me two back when the book was printed.
Definitely let me know if it turns up. I've given away a couple good football books recently (one to a PFRA member) just because I don't reference them and probably won't read them again. I still have Joe Ziemba's Cardinals book I could offer in trade if you need that one.
Finally found the extra copy. Send me a message with your address and I'll mail it to you.